Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Lex ES330
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Camry fans...

I have a 92-Camry, V6 and the A/C has not worked for 2 years. I have about 140k on this car and it runs great.

I had the A/C recharged once - and the cold air lasted about 2 months. My question is, what can I do to get the A/C working again?

Should I replace it - for it will cost over $1k from what I've heard? I don't know if it has a leak or not - or if the condensor is blown.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
maneesh

·
Registered
633 Posts
Have you got a/c tools ? It's definitely worth to buy them and do the work yourself. With these costs included it will be cheaper than having it repaired by a professional (if it can help you I know some good contacts in the US who might help you...)
A typical problem on these Camries was a leaking evaporator (in the dashboard but it might be many other places as well.
The way to proceed is to charge your system again with a dye in it and check for leaks. If it only lasted 2 months, you shouldn't miss it. If you have any questions just PM me.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I4 to V6 Swap said:
I would recommend to convert to r134. It is worth it.
Yep is this still hasn't been done it's definitely true, especially as your system needs some work anyway. You will need to buy a retrofit kit, new o-rings and a new receiver dryer. This is very cheap if you do it yourself. It is however incredibly expensive if it is done by a professional.

·
grrroarr... ?
314 Posts
hey nico!

long time no see,
speaking of AC parts, do you know where i can find them ?

also, how did that story with your rebuilt engine end ?

·
Lex ES330
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks

hey - you guys have been very helpful...

I don't think I can do it myself. I don't even know how to change the brake pads.

Nico - You mentioned A/C tools?? Where can i get them?

But it looks like if I have to switch the freon, that may be the way to go...

SilverStreak - will search on your name.

Thanks again guys - I'm a shmuck for not finding this forum earlier.

Kind regards,
maneesh

1 - 10 of 10 Posts