Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE,if i let the car sit until it cools off, it starts once it hits operating temp it wont idlel,if i hold the gas at 1k it runs but blowing black smoke out the exhaust,ran it ten minutes parked burned 1/4 tank,also if turn heater on can smell gas,

·
Registered
Look in sig
8,804 Posts
black smoke usually means it's running very rich.

Was the car running OK until recently or did this started after work was done to it? Any history on the car?

·
Super Moderator
13,118 Posts
Might be the ECT sensor has gone bad? See below for a pic of its location, it’s the one with a green connector on it on the left. It’s a variable resistor with temperature. Should be about 6,000 ohms cold, 600 when warmed up. The ECU monitors it and runs the injectors rich when the engine’s cold.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
will check that can it be cleaned,car has been missing for a while then all of a sudden it was getting about no kidding 3 mpg in city,no work has been done to it in few yrs.

·
Super Moderator
13,118 Posts
Nah, I doubt cleaning it will help if the resistance is out of spec. A new one isn’t expensive. $50 for OEM, $10-20 for aftermarket.

·
Super Moderator
13,118 Posts
Another thought... The fuel pressure regulator on these has a vacuum line going to it. Sometimes they fail in a way that dumps fuel into that line. Try disconnecting it and plugging the hose. Then start the engine and see if fuel comes out of the nipple on the regulator.

·
Super Moderator
13,118 Posts
In this pic, it’s in the lower left corner. It’s the round metal thing with a small pipe sticking straight up. It’s mounted on the front bank’s fuel rail, which feeds the injectors. In this pic, the decorative engine cover is removed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts