Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody offer me advice.

I have '92 Camry V6. 180,000kms

I was driving down the road and suddenly massive clouds of blue smoke poured out the back.

I discovered that the engine oil was being drawn/pushed up the breather hose from the front OHC valve cover. The oil would go down the intake manifold where it would pool up in the main manifold and then get sucked through under acceleration causing the smoke issue. this problem is intermittant and did not happen all the time.

My understanding is the PCV valve is supposed to suck emmisions from teh crank case into the intake manifold and the front breather tube is supposed to re-supply air to the engine. IT IS RUNNING THE OTHER WAY.

The PCV valve was checked/cleaned and this seemed to eliminate the problem for a while, but them it came back. The oil uptake through the breather hose is still happening but not to the same degree. The engine is running very well in general. Just occassionally there will be a lot of blue smoke on start-up, but none while running. This is caused by minor oil build up in the intake manifold while running and then draining and pooling into the manifold while the engine is off over time. Again this is intermittant.

A professional compression and leakdown test has been done and was excellent for an engine of this age. There seems to be no blow-by problem from the cylinders at least. The engine has been well maintained and has built up the miles from long drives only.

The coolant and oil are both very clean.

Any ideas what else could cause the oil to fill the head cover and be pushed/sucked into the breather hose?

Is there some other valve or something that I don' know about?

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
break down and spend the $8 for a new pcv valve. also a few cans of cleaner and clean out the air lines and tb. you may also want to buy some seafoam and pour it in while the engine is running to help clean out some of the deep down oil.

·
permanent hiatus
735 Posts
maybe you should consider removing the hose that runs from your pcv to the intake tube with a small breather filter... or if you have extra money to spend, get an oil catch can.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts