Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89Terc3dr/92pu4x4
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Working on a neighbors car. 92 corolla 1.6. I’m get in on this after some one else ***'d it up. Now she is pressed for time. The book doesn’t help here.
It wouldn’t start. Some one told her to buy a battery. No effect. Then a starter. But before she had that put in she asked me to take a look.
I found the battery fine. Of coarse, its new. I turned the key and got nothing. Not even a click. For a sec I thought about the ignition switch, but after turning on the head lights and stepping on the brakes with no illumination (unswitched), that was quickly eliminated.
So that’s where I’m at with no real time to trouble shoot. Got to get her running by Monday.
Sorry, that’s all the info I have right now. I will be studying this tonite, but I need all the resources going at once due to time. Ty all

I need some mind food on this…….any one?

i see in the schematics that there is a main fusable link. the book doesnt show where it physicaly is and i ran outta daylight.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Make sure that the battery terminals/cables are totally free of any corrosion. Make sure that you have a good ground connection at engine block. Most likely culprit is the replaceable solenoid contacts within starter. Have someone hold key in start position while someone else gives the starter a good rap. If the starter then turns that confirms it. I think the fusible links are located in the assembly that attaches to the positive battery terminal

·
Registered
373 Posts
but after turning on the head lights and stepping on the brakes with no illumination (unswitched), that was quickly eliminated.
Makes me think about what was just mentioned...make sure the ground cable is good and well connected. Even with a starter problem, the brake lights should still work.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I didn't read the original post closely enough. Even though battery is new it could be run down from a dome light/trunk light or other discharge.. Did you attempt to jump start it? Use sandpaper/wire brush to clean terminals/ connectors till shiny. Toys seem to be real picky about having an absolutely clean terminal connection.

·
Registered
89Terc3dr/92pu4x4
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
i didnt give enough info. very premature post. i just have no frickin time. to ask you all to take a shot in the dark is ridiculous. sorry.
the post title should read no pwr. starting was what she (neighbor) and her other so called mechanic thought the issue was.

13.2 volts 4 bat. its good. terminals, i cleaned. no pwr to anything. gotta find that fusable link. havent gone out 2 day. going to library to get wiring diagram copied.

usualy got two or three ways of grounding. so if that were an issue, it would most likely be dim lights. but anything is possible.

its gonna be some thing simple. one wire or one part. its probably staring me in the face.

·
Registered
89Terc3dr/92pu4x4
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
First off, I’d like to thank you all for responding to a really shitty post. I had no time and needed to troubleshoot with all the resources I could get. So tag, you all were part of my resources.

The winner is.. Pos bat terminal. There is a lesson here that I thought I learned before. Never trust anyone else’s work as adequate. Especially if you don’t know them. Even if it looks good.

A bit of history.

Complaint, no start. Other mechanics solution. New bat w/new (incorrect) pos terminal, and starter. 160 bucks. Bat was probably a good thing, but she asked for my help to install the new starter.

This is frickin funny. Even funnier that i got fooled.

It all looked new. And it was. Some where along the line the stock terminal was replaced with one I’m used to seeing on U.S. vehicles (bottom left). It was plasticoated red. Very Purdy. Except where the cable is to go. The tabs from the pos cable were spread to lay flat then sandwiched between the little clamps. Unfortunately, the only contact is on the plasticoat. Replaced w/oem (bottom rt) and, of coarse, started up.

8 bucks for oem terminal/return new starter for a refund of 80 bucks.

edit; i just asked her. she got 140 bucks back for the new starter. all my figures (guesses) were about 40 bucks to low.

total time, 1.5 hours. 1.25 hours to figure out the previous mantinance was shit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts