Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1987 mazda rx 7,
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1992 corolla and the engine is in no shape for high speeds it has the 1.6 and my option are have it rebuilt get a different 1.6 or get a different motor in general so any suggestions? what other motors bolt up to the 5 speed that it comes with i think its the c50?

·
All We'll Drive
88 All-Trac wagon
653 Posts
Being a '92 I assume it's a sedan or wagon, and a 4A-FE, FWD. There is a sticky topic above about what engine options you have.

I haven't looked at that topic in a while, so I'm not sure if it mentions this, but there is the option of turboing that 4A-FE. If done properly & safely it can be reliable and fun, from what others say on here & elsewhere.

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,665 Posts
if you're keeping that C transmission, your only options would be 4AGE either 16v or 20v... if you want to change the whole package, I would suggest a 3SGE or 3SGTE... however this is expert level swap, lol if you know what I mean as you'd need to redo some motor and transmission mounts and not just wiring as a 4AGE swap would.

·
Registered
93 Posts
All I can tell you from my personal experience is this:

I would not suggest running a 20v with your c50 transmission, I had a silvertop mated to my old c50 and it was a bit underwhelming. My friend's stock base auto civic (current gen) could beat my coupe in a straight line it was pretty pathetic.

If you are going to be swapping in a motor I would suggest just grabbing a full 20v setup with the quicker-ratio trans already mated to it if you can.

As for turboing I have no experience with it but with a lot of googling I'm sure it is the cheapest alternative and probably will give you the most power. But the 20v ITB sound is pretty cool too

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
most decent silvertops dyno under 120whp most decent blacktops dyno mid 130whp. bt also make as much as mid 140's with just a stand alone. if your staying NA the bt would be a nice engine un-modded. i've never been a fan of the st so i wont comment much more on it. another thing to consider is buy another 4afe with good compression, and setup a turbo kit on the stock internals. this setup would be the fastest of all the options and will run right around the price range. the 4afe engines can be had for cheap most the time since there is sooooo many of them. it would be the most economical route. i think jmaz has his 4afe boosted and beats the crap out of it, and its been holding up. i remember seeing his dyno sheet and it was around the 160whp range. thats more power than these jdm swaps and less money to make a jdm engine in that range too.

·
Registered
1987 mazda rx 7,
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all the information im now considering just getting a supra cause i like the way rwd
handles so much better but if not then ill go with the option that has the best aftermarket background im going to do alil more research on the options listed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts