Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Corolla, 90 Camry
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, my 92 corolla trunk lid wont close and latch. I had to slam it really hard one time, and then it wouldn't open with the key or cable thus had to unbolt latch from the car. Note: Nothing wrong with the key, but neither the key nor the cable would let the trunk unlatch.

The latch mechanism will work when off the car and can be unlatched manually. The latch mechanism was lubed up and reattached to car. The metal latch finger moves to the position that it would be in when closed and will move to the open position when the cable is pulled or with the screwdriver. The finger activates when closing the trunk lid but will not grab the trunk latch.

I tried to adjust the latch and the metal attachment, but there is no adjustment i.e. up/down or left/right to allow one to adjust the latch its fixed. I may need to use a breaker bar to adjust the metal plate or cut some slots into the bolt holes for the latches metal part that the hook grabs onto and the lock mechanism itself that bolts onto the car.

Any other way to adjust the lock/latch mechanism in this 92 corolla?

·
Registered
1992 Geo Prizm
3,617 Posts
Recently, my 92 corolla trunk lid wont close and latch. I had to slam it really hard one time, and then it wouldn't open with the key or cable thus had to unbolt latch from the car. Note: Nothing wrong with the key, but neither the key nor the cable would let the trunk unlatch.

The latch mechanism will work when off the car and can be unlatched manually. The latch mechanism was lubed up and reattached to car. The metal latch finger moves to the position that it would be in when closed and will move to the open position when the cable is pulled or with the screwdriver. The finger activates when closing the trunk lid but will not grab the trunk latch.

I tried to adjust the latch and the metal attachment, but there is no adjustment i.e. up/down or left/right to allow one to adjust the latch its fixed. I may need to use a breaker bar to adjust the metal plate or cut some slots into the bolt holes for the latches metal part that the hook grabs onto and the lock mechanism itself that bolts onto the car.

Any other way to adjust the lock/latch mechanism in this 92 corolla?
You might want to look at how the latch catches onto the body, and then figure out if you need to slot the holes up, or to the side or both. The FSM doesn't give much help, other than to say it's adjustable in all directions, but it sounds like it just needs a little more in 1 direction.

·
Registered
92 Corolla, 90 Camry
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked at the lower latch and it is slightly slotted vertically upper hole but the lower hole isn’t. Thus the latch can’t be adjusted up or down. Probably will have to metal file it bigger since drill bits will snap off on a part this small.

·
Registered
1992 Geo Prizm
3,617 Posts
I looked at the lower latch and it is slightly slotted vertically upper hole but the lower hole isn’t. Thus the latch can’t be adjusted up or down. Probably will have to metal file it bigger since drill bits will snap off on a part this small.
A round file will do the job. If you have a dremel, that would work too.

·
Registered
92 Corolla, 90 Camry
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I bought a new trunk latch and now it works. The problem was the latch hook didn't cover the gap enough so that it would grap the lower latch bracket. The left side is the new latch and the right side is the old one where you can see the gap and it also being slightly chewed up.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.