Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Please HELP!!

I have a 92 Toyota GT...2 Door...2.2 liter engine...5 Speed

It has just over 182,000 miles...ENGINE STRONG!

My Car has Been Cutting Off During Acceleration into 2nd Gear...
At first I thought it was my battery post and the Grounded wire which was frayed

I replaced with New...
problem persisted...I bought a new terminal for the Post...After Stopping and Going..
(When Car Cuts off...You can Crank it right up...No Problem...Began to accelerate and Cut off..
Start it...and go..Decide to Press Gas Down and ride the Clutch and Gas While Shifting and
car Stays Cranked but I look like a Rookie Behind the Wheel and will Burn out My Clutch..So..
After I stopped and raised the Hood....I took the Negative Post Off...and Car Shut Off..
Bought a New Alternator...BAM...That's The Problem..
NOT!!..

4 Days later...Start out the parking lot...Car Cuts off..Same Problems All over again..

I took the Alternator to be checked..Fine..I took the Battery to be Checked and charged..Fine

What Could Cause the Car To Cut Off after I hit 20 + Miles and Up..between Shifts....it Dies..?

I need to Get to My New Job..and It's my only Means of Transportation...Please..Has Anyone Had this Problem..:headbang: ??

Thanks in Advaned

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It does lag or sputter while shifting and Cuts off....as said...If I ride the clutch and force gas in....It stays on while shifting but as soon as I go to 3rd...if I shift normal it sputter out and cuts off...I have actually rode the clutch and forced gas in to get me home and...lol...can you imagine a beginner jerking and spinning tires..lol...that's me trying to get home..

·
Premium Member
14,821 Posts
Ok, but to know what's wrong we need to know what part of the triad it takes to make an engine run. Spark, fuel, and compression. I'm going to assume you're not dynamically loosing compression, so either spark or and air/fuel issue. Any engine light or codes? How easily does it re-start? Are the motor mounts really bad? At any rpm or only when you're shifting hard or gently? etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's ONLY when I'm shifting that it dies...as stated...the Car Cranks With No Problem..

the Engine is STrong...it's the Shifting that the problem...and obviously it's not a clutch prob cause the clutch will miss or drag upon going bad until it won't move in that gear...

so ....I'm asking what could it be...the motor is properly mounted from my visual inspection...I'm in a poor man's bracket so I'm trying to handle this with limited financies...No Codes cause one...Unless it's towed I can't find out and two...again I'm on limited funds...this has gone on for 3 weeks now...former student of a UTI auto school is hitting and missing..and I appreciate his help though...he can do the work but hasn't put the puzzle together yet...
He NOW says...I think it's your Fuel Filter cause it sputtered and died when you tried to give it gas...

But..lol...again...My funds are limited and I'm buying parts and the problem still occurs...I'm trying to nip it down to 1 or 2 things if possible...

and then I can't find the fuel filter...going off internet locations from different boards..one supposed pro stated it was on the firewall on the passenger side along the engine rear..NOT..lol..so I'm just trying to nip it down....and THANKS! for Your Time...cause after 85 views..you're the only one to help...Thanks!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh..and I had the Clutch replaced a year or less than a year....so...Nah..and one guy says its the wires dropping into the Gear shift..lol and No..that's not it..cause I've pulled the cover and checked..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok....Update....I've now replaced the fuel filter and fuel pump...

1st when I replaced the fuel filter it acted okay for 2 shifts and went back to normal of cutting off at 2nd shift...

Now I've replaced the Fuel Pump and it started going great...It allowed me to actually leave my parking lot..lol

Then when I got up to 4th gift it shut off..... :(

So I ran it and it did fine again and when I got up to 4th it cuts off....and every blue moon it's off at 2nd

But ..It's doing alot better...I thought to get it on the interstate and Burn it out but it won't allow me to do so.....I have tried burning it out in 3rd...I got up to 50 and shift to 4th and ran out of road..lol...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.