Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here, but am hoping someone could direct me in how to troubleshoot a no spark condition on my 92 Paseo. The car seemed to be running fine after a recent alternator swap (never buy from start-mart BTW). It died suddenly and left me stranded. I came back with tools and removed a plug, but no spark is evident while cranking, and the engine makes no attemt to run. The battery has a good charge, and the alternator seems to have been working at the time, although I have no way of knowing if it was the cause of the problem or not. I checked the cap and rotor and they look fine. Is there an easy way to pull computer codes from this car without a special scanner? Any help would be much appreciated as this is my only source of transportation at this time.

Rick

·
No BS ECTO/BYP Advocate!
99 Posts
Process of elimintation;

Hows the starter? Simple but overlooked issue. Then check the ignition coil, another common problem. The igniter could be faulty as well. Grab a multi meter and check for voltage and cross reference with the required voltage for each component, if the reading is lower than the standard, you've got your problem. I had a no spark issue a few months ago...it was the ignition coil.

DOTMREP

·
Registered
238 Posts
also check and see if your timing belt is still in tact. check the placement of the rotor under the dist cap. then turn the engine. go and check the placement again, and if its in the exact same spot then you know its your timing belt. try this 2 or 3 times just to double check.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The starter is good - turns over just fine. Timing belt is intact (is this an interferance engine or not BTW?).

Can anyone tell me the required voltages for the various ignition parts I should check? I have a multi-meter, but I can't locate a manual at any of the parts places I've been to. They claim there isn't one made for this car, and I really can't afford a FSM. What voltages should I see across the coil and the ignitor? Can anyone point me to a place where I can get a cheap manual with the information I need?

Also - where the heck is the coil? I didn't see a coil wire running into the distributor - is it actually inside the distributor? I am a mechanic in the Military, but I haven't worked on yota's much. Sorry for my ignorance.....

Rick

·
No BS ECTO/BYP Advocate!
99 Posts
Ahh yes, Kene ..the one two combo! :thumbup: :cool:

·
Registered
238 Posts
the actual toyota manuals(the 2nd link) will probably help you more. the manual i have is from a company that sells these manuals to automotive shops on cd. so it may not be up to par with the factory toyota manuals.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well - actually, the manual was quite helpful - I was able to test the coil and found that it seems to be out of spec. I'm not totally sure it's out of spec enough to not work, but at least it's a starting point.

When I test the primary side, it starts out high, but then drops within about 10 seconds to a reading which is just barely on the high side of the acceptable scale. When I tested the secondary the first time, it was at 12,000 ohms. With an allowed range of between 9,000 and 15,0000. This first test was performed with the coil still attached to the disty, but the leads removed from the positive and negative termials. But after removing the coil from the disty and testing it again the secondary was now reading 7,300 ohms - well below the allowed lower bound.

So I guess I'll try to find a coil from the junk yard tommorow - or if anyone knows where I can get one for cheap.....

Rick

·
Registered
5 Posts
Haha!!!!

I had the same problem! Do you have a cold air intake pipe? If it touches the distributor where the wires comes out then the electrical flow diverts into that pipe and not into your spark plugs! The insulation on the stock wires suck. Get the bosch wires. They're so thick. 9mm too... better than the 4mm wires you're running. Other than that check your cap and rotor. Also pull out your sprak plugs and makes sure they're firing. If the sparks are good and the wires aren't giving current, then you might wanna try plugs. They're only 2 bucks a pop for the base model. Hit me up man, i've had all the paseo problems you can imagine. I have a 92 also. DjEmoKidd - aim [email protected]

·
Registered
238 Posts
my coil took a dump on me tonight too. i took it to autozone. they checked it and my primary was fine, but my secondary was at 4700. thts what would'nt let me start.

I am almost certain its your coil..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Took the coil to Autozone, and they say it's fine. They said "It's a little low, but not low enough to matter". Sounds fishy to me. They say it's "almost always the ignitor" that fails. Then they tell me the coils mostly fail "under load", and that testing it without a load may not show the failure. I may grab a junk yard coil that tests good just to see. I hate thowing parts at a problem that I can't accurately diagnose. It's good to hear that others have had this problem and it didn't turn out to be something fiendish - the ignitor is like $150 - I just hope it's not that.

This poor car has had a number of issues of late. First it was the clutch - did that one myself - not bad really. Then there was the communist gnome makeing weapons in my water pump. He was in there grinding away with impunity. Then the alternator from the "experts" at start-mart decided to withdraw my voltage credit line. No a single volt to be seen anywhere for many days - 3 trips to the experts at start mart, and now I personally am an expert on alternators...... now this silly ignition problem. Maybe it's the 209k miles.... either that or it just doesn't like looking at my ugly mug.

GD

·
No BS ECTO/BYP Advocate!
99 Posts
Sounds like it time for a swap! :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It was the coil. I put in a junk yard coil and she started right up first try. At least my friend let me borrow his rig for a couple days (HUGE lifted Subaru wagon! Hehe), and the coil only cost me $20. So I'm back on the road and hoping that my car troubles are over for a while. I'm buying a back-up rig just in case tho - 65 Ford 3/4 ton truck - at least then I won't have to borrow cars from my friends. I hate doing that.

Rick

·
Registered
238 Posts
thts good to hear....but did you make sure that the coil from the junk yard is within the middle of its allowable resistance?

i bought my distributor off of ebay and slapped it in thinking eveything was great. it was exceptionally clean and all. but then i just ended up changing the coil cause it went dead on me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah - I brought my multi-meter to the JY with me :cool:

Hopefully it will last a little while. The only reason I didn't get a new one was because I wasn't totally sure the old one was bad. I think I might get one from Autozone for $60 and keep it in the trunk....

Rick

1 - 17 of 17 Posts