Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, Im new here and I signed up because I just bought a 1992 Tercel 4 Door DX in light blue with 160,450 miles on it. It is in pretty good condition and I picked it up for 500 dollars.

Im using it during winter while my 87 mustang stays in the garage away from all snow.

Anyway, Im fixing things on the car, new bulbs for ones that burned out, wd40 the hinges and movable parts, oil change, tranny fluid drain and fill, coolant drain and fill etc....

The car was idling horribly and I guess a belt was squealing real loud and after I got an oil change its pretty smooth, but now its about 20 degrees outside and the car wouldn't start, I had this problem 4 days ago, added more oil and it started up, but this was before the oil change. Now its all clean and filled and it still didnt start up.

Any ideas? The car battery works, lights and horn and all works, and the starter cranks and you hear it trying to engage, a yellow light comes on when it starts, I dont know what it means, I dont have the manual.

Can someone tell me why this wont start up, and better yet, how to stop it from burning some oil without emptying my $$$ for this beater?

I figure you guys would know best.

·
Registered
92 Tercel
8 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of Tercel ownership! I myself am a newbie to Toyotas in general, owned VW's all my life. After purchasing my Tercel in Sept of this year (its a 1992, 4spd el-strippo) I wonder what all the hype of Japanese quality is really about. I have done more work to this car in 3 months than I had done on my 21 year old VW Rabbit in 2 years. Battery, valve guide seals, engine leaking motor oil everywhere, tranny leaking gear oil out of axle seals, buzzing turn signal switch, exhaust pipe coming off where it connects to the exhaust manifold (nuts dont like to stay tight), engine gets hot if you drive it continously over 70 mph. Yeah, I understand the car is 14 years old, but come on, it only has a 150,000 miles on it. I was hoping it would last at least 200K before giving me any kind of trouble, but thats not the case. Its sounds like you need a battery.

·
Turn that shit up!
262 Posts
Check the air filter, and probably replace the fuel filter, unless you know the last time it was replaced. Might want to check the accessory belt, and maybe even the timing belt, unless you know it was replaced recently. Check your hoses, make sure they're not cracked or brittle or anything.

Do you have a Haynes/Chilton manual? That's definitely one of the best things you can get, has lots of stuff listed for a tuneup, and shows how to do each one. I'd definitely grab one of those while you're buying parts.

There's probably a lot more stuff you can do for a tuneup, I just thought of those now...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, how the heck do I get those plastic clips off inside the trunk that hold on the Tail lights, I want to replace a reverse light thats not working and Those plastic clips (white, black) go over the little screw threads and I tried to yank them off, and twist them off, and use pliers, they wont budge.

How do I get those off to change the bulb?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
on my 92, they are square anchor type pieces, black and white blocks on the screws, ive tried turning them with a plier and pulling them as well, they dont budge

they are anchored down on the screws of the tail light that poke through to the back inside of the trunk..

·
N/A bites
Paseo
5,861 Posts
gt5oh, push a screwdriver into the marked holes. It appears your studs may be broken off and the light may be glued on. After the section nearest the center of car comes loose then push to the side to get the pop studs to come out.

Tyler88, what color is your car?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.