Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup fellas, im new to the boards =) Here's my story. Im turning 17 in about a year. Im gonna buy my dads 92' toyota pickup truck its king cab and im getting it for about 2-3 grand, and ill have about 5 grand to put into it. Im looking for more show than go, and its 4 wheel drive so I cant necessarily drop it. Was looking for suggestions of items you guys like, and things that could help me out. If you can give me brands and model #'s or whatever would be a ton, also prices...anything Really looking foward to turning 17 and pimpin this ride. Wanna make it the hottest truck around! Thanks in advance~

A few items I was looking at for exterior:

~3'' suspension Lift
~3'' body lift
~36's
~Fiberglass bed cover (with hydrolic lift i believe)
~Windshield overhang cover (not sure right name, its like a flap at the top where windshield meets the roof)
~The fenders that go behind the king cab window to the side of the bed
~Airbrush on tailgate or bed cover
~Window tints

Interior:
~Audio System (one 600watt amp and possibly 2 10's if i feel thats enough)
~Custom floor matts
~Center console on floor between two seats
~Shift knob

Those are just some of the things i have been thinking up, i wrote a list down but its not with me right now. If you guys have certain brands or anything at all of the above things id really appreciate it. I am very glad to be here, and i hope you can all help me, and one day i can return the favor ~

:D

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
welcome to tn, most any question you may have about your truck to women you can find out here if you put it in the apropate thread areas ;) . if you ever have any question on whats the best kits or anything ask and you get a good answer in a few hours!

·
Registered
99 Taco
31 Posts
Hi, go to www.performanceproducts.com and request a catalog. The have nice catalog full of toyota truck specific parts that should at least give you some good ideas. Best of all it's free!! :) Being an older toyota the parts they carry may be a little limited but it's worth your time. Also a great place to at least look is on e-bay.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My ideas

Thanks for the welcomes!!! Sounds like some good comments, how much suspension do you think i should go? ill get pics posted sometime, dunno how soon. Was talking to a friend, he said when i give it a suspension lift ill need extensions on drive shaft, etc. How much will that all cost? And do you think 35's are big enough? I wrote down a whole list of things in a notebook one day. I'm gonna list them, and just give me ur 2 cents on what u know about some of the stuff. (i apologize for the large posts) Just excited

-Audio System-
A. - Subs - 2 12'' Subs?
B. - Amps - 1 600 watt amp (is 2 unecessary?)
-Window tints-
-Suspension Lift- 5''
-body lift- 3''?
-Hood scoop- are the tape ons not worth it?
-Exhaust Tip- Just looking for chrome look on end, no reason to get a whole new system its only 6 cylinder 5spd so not going to get much sound out of it (or am i wrong?)
-Bed cover- Going with the hydrolic fiberglass cover that lays flat on top
-Whale's tail- Possibly put on towards the back by the tailgate on the cover? or is that ridiculous?
-New front grill- Not a big fan of the stock 92 grill they gave the pickups, maybe i could find someone somewhere that matches, any suggestions?
-Front / Back light replacements- Looking for the white / red ones none of this stock garbage, any specifics?
-Tires- 35's or bigger?
-Floormats- probably find custom ones somewhere, maybe stylinconcepts
-Pushbar- right now we just brushed down and repainted the pushbar its a black with chrome sparkles (doesnt look****gy dont worry) but maybe can look into an all chrome pushbar?
-Shift knob- Are the neon ones any good?
-Center console between the chairs- Buy old one, or can i make my own?
-Airbrush on the bed cover or tailgate- was thinking of The Punisher skull, that could be my theme. Maybe get that on the floormats too

That's about it, again i apologize for the long post. If anyone can help with some feedback i really appreciate it, work my ass off for the money and wanna make sure i know what im looking into and buying before i do!

·
Sleeping While Awake
94 Posts
as far as the tires and suspension go, do you plan on taking this offroad or strictly on-road only? either way, 35's will be plenty. if your just driving on road, you could put 35's on with a 4" suspension and either 1 inch body or 4 inch lift and trimming the fenders and putting flares on. offroad, i'd say 4 inch suspension and 2-3" body lift. either way, your gonna have to regear the axles. 35's i'd go with 5.29's in the front and rear. if you don't regear, your gonna be low on torque and mph.

as far as the other stuff, whales tail? you talking about a spoiler on the end of the bed? i'd rethink that idea!:lol:
don't go with a tape on hood scoop, i'd get a fiberglass hood.
neon shifter, na, get one that looks like a scull with blinkin eyes!
bed cover, i think it would look alot cooler with a chrome roll bar.
for the front grill, i'd go with a retro look- http://www.4runners.org/articles/satoshi/

my thinking is, it is a 4x4, and your planning on putting it on 35's+. make it all show and no go if you want, but work with what you got, and improve it in the field that its suppose to be in. fiber glass bed covers are for low riders, same with neon shifters and whales tails. you can pimp out a 4x4, but make it looks like a very capable 4x4.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I like the 4inch life and trimmed fenders with flares. 35's, the chrome rollbar (any company names or site suggestions?). What do you mean as far as regearing? i've seen the 5.29 before too, and i think the skull would be hot, as well as the front grill, the information you gave me 94 Yota really helped me out ;) Thanks a ton, keep it coming :p:

Edit: Wondering what a good system set up would be? Im thinking around 1200 watts of bass would be good, Have 600 watts pumping straight to the speakers right now gonna leave that setup. And any suggestions for brands, heard contradicting stuff about Sony Xplod, would like some input thanks.

·
Sleeping While Awake
94 Posts
Dav3 said:
What do you mean as far as regearing?
when you change your tire size, and leave your stock gears alone, your engine wont turn the right rpms for power. the larger the tire, the more power it takes to turn the tires from the engine, the larger gears you need. kinda like a breaker bar. if you can't break a nut loose close to it, get more torque behind the bar. same with the tires. regearing will run you 3-400 for the gears and install kits, and probably another 500 for the labor, its not a do it yourself project unless your a qualified mechanic in this field.

roll-bars:
http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/roll_bars.htm?GTSE=goog&GTKW=roll+bars

http://www.cachassisworks.com/cages.htm

just a few, and for some other ideas, you should get a high clearance bumper,
, from this website http://fastq.com/~sschaefer/store.html and possibly get some sliders, theres some pics here http://yotatech.com/showthread.php?t=38104&highlight=sliders

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dunno if i can afford all that, anyway to fit 35's with a lift and dont need to do the 1000$ of regearin and what not? Otherwise i might have to do the lifting and tires last. The tires it has on it now are new anyway, will be a few years till i need new ones anyway. Dunno what to do, not spending all that money for it. Maybe ill do everything else first then go for it. Even that roll bars gonna cost me like 600 for the one i want. I guess thats not that bad cause thats how much a cover would cost me anyay :disappoin Little information about the sliders? Startin to wonder about the lift and everything. Right when i get the truck, i will only have about 5000$ give or take. Maybe you can give me a list of what ___you___ would do in order using around that amount? Thanks for all the help, those rollbars look sweet, and all the suggestions you have given me so far have been helpful and informational. Im learning so much!:D

·
Sleeping While Awake
94 Posts
anyway to fit 35's with a lift and dont need to do the 1000$ of regearin and what not?
you could lift it and throw the 35's under your truck, but without regearing, your gonna be missing out on a lot of lost power and torque. if your budgeting yourself, i'd wait on that, though, you can sometimes score some 3rd members with 5.29's in the for sale sections on:
www.yotatech.com
www.4x4wire.com
www.pirate4x4.com

and all that would require you to do is swap out the 3rd members yourself, not that hard at all. but if you've got new tires on there, i'd go ahead and run those down, or you could sell the tires and use the money towards new tires and lift.

Little information about the sliders?
sliders are nerf bars or tube steps on steroids. nerf bars and tubes steps (same thing) are used as steps to get in and out of the trucks. but if you ever felt the need to go exploring, and ran them of on a rock, they'll more than likely bend, or bend into your body. sliders can be used as a step, but provide incredible protection on the rocks, and if you've got the money and want to make the truck a little tougher looking, they would do that.

Maybe you can give me a list of what ___you___ would do in order using around that amount?
my first priority would be getting the truck lifted, new tires and rims and regeared. thats gonna be the most expensive, and everything else, you can save up monthly to get. then i would take the tires that are on it, and sell them to get some of the money back. i would just rather get the biggest thing out of the way, then go from there. also, if you CAN come across 3rd members that already have the 5.29's, then you can just pop those in, and you could turn around and sell your stock gears, as people look for those too.

don't forget, you can check those websites i listed above for other things you need, don't be afraid to scour junk yards, and the most useful and resourceful one is of course..........ebay!

its not gonna happen all at once, but i think if you lift it and get that taken care of, you can see where your headin alot quicker than if you take all the small things first.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's another piece I was looking at for my truck http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/...makeId-1000146/p-4297/c-10101/modelId-1001788 The lighted one, i think it looks better personally. Again, I can't thank you enough ....can i get a name? :p:

Gameplan for now (can be improvised and most likely will at this rate:lol: )

#1. - Audio System (not sure yet about the amp / sub setup)
#2. - Suspension Lift
#3. - Sun Visor
#4. - Roll bar
#5. - Sliders
#6. - You suggested selling the tires I have on it now, they're 31's and as long as i feel the lift doesn't make them look silly im just gonna wait till they need to be replaced and hope by then i have enough for the 35's and regearing.
#7. - Interior stuff (custom floormats, shift knob, and anything else i can find).

That really seems like a much better list than what i have been coming up with. Its realistic and I can just picture my truck now.

~PS - My dad has those white decals on the side (the stock ones that came with the 92's) and it also has TOYOTA on the tailgate. Anyone know a solution or anything that I can use to have them come right off? Someone suggested something called "Easy-Off"? Not sure. Thanks again everyone~

·
Sleeping While Awake
94 Posts
sounds like you got a good plan, though i would switch #3 and #4 around. if you choose to keep the 31's with that much lift, you might find your truck with a bit more body roll than you want. just a suggestion;) and when you get to #6, make sure that you get the proper backspacing on the rims, but you don't have to worry about that right now!
for the decals, theres a few options. heat gun with goo-off or any tar remover will work and some tweezers, theres an eraser that you can attach to a drill that can remove them, paint store usually carry them, jc whitney carries decal adhesive and remover http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs...0821&productId=6012&catalogId=10101&langId=-1
top of the line carries some too http://www.topoftheline.com/32ozadrem.html

thats just a few ideas, the only easy-off i know of is a oven cleaner, not sure if that works on decals or not, never tried.

anyways, hope this helps out. btw, check your private messages.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Instead of sliders, I like the chrome bar that is like a running board sort of. I want everything on the truck to either be black or chrome. Should I also be thinking of a theme?:confused:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Instead of sliders, I like the chrome bar that is like a running board sort of. I want everything on the truck to either be black or chrome. Should I also be thinking of a theme?:confused:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Dav3....Please listen to 94 Yota!

Guys with 4x4 trucks are a different breed. The reason: So many of the offroad improvements you NEED to do to raise yor truck are not ever going to bee seen by anyone in a supermarket parking lot!

The problem with TOYOTA small pickups is that the engines are so small, they cannot...CANNOT swing the big tires and rims needed to drive a tall tire. Any tire over 31" in diameter will feel sooo miserable. It really sucks when you can't even out-accelerate a UPS truck! I am not kidding here. Toyota trucks are known for longevity, not speed and power. To propel your truck with with 35" tires, you WIll need to regear the BOTH the front and rear diffs, at a cost of around $1000. This does not include the lift, or any other mods. Don't do a body-lift either. there are a number of interference probs with this too. It also looks tacky.

Huge stereo systems need huge current, and the stock Toy alternator puts out a reliable but small amount of current.

If you want to drive a vehicle with both "street credibility" and "bling", a TOYOTA 4x4 is not a good choice, unles you want to build an "offroad truck" that is less capable than a stock Toyota 4x4 with stock 28" tires.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the thoughts and everything, but me and 94 Yota are on the same page. Im just looking to make a show truck, I cant go with another because thats not the offer i have. My dads offering me the truck. I dont plan on offroading, and my uncle put 35's on with little to no problems without regearing however, by the time the tires that are on it now need to be replaced ill have the money to regear anyway. Thanks again everyone~

·
Sleeping While Awake
94 Posts
Rycam said:
Dav3....Please listen to 94 Yota!

Guys with 4x4 trucks are a different breed. The reason: So many of the offroad improvements you NEED to do to raise yor truck are not ever going to bee seen by anyone in a supermarket parking lot!

The problem with TOYOTA small pickups is that the engines are so small, they cannot...CANNOT swing the big tires and rims needed to drive a tall tire. Any tire over 31" in diameter will feel sooo miserable. It really sucks when you can't even out-accelerate a UPS truck! I am not kidding here. Toyota trucks are known for longevity, not speed and power. To propel your truck with with 35" tires, you WIll need to regear the BOTH the front and rear diffs, at a cost of around $1000. This does not include the lift, or any other mods. Don't do a body-lift either. there are a number of interference probs with this too. It also looks tacky.

Huge stereo systems need huge current, and the stock Toy alternator puts out a reliable but small amount of current.

If you want to drive a vehicle with both "street credibility" and "bling", a TOYOTA 4x4 is not a good choice, unles you want to build an "offroad truck" that is less capable than a stock Toyota 4x4 with stock 28" tires.
actually, :rolleyes: body lifts are and can be very functional, but sometimes not needed. if the right body lift is purchased, such as a rodger brown body lift (in my opinion and others the best out there), and installed correctly, it can be very benificial. a number of interference problems, yes, but that can be true about a number of things, suspension lifts included. but, your mostly gonna encounter having to deal with shifter extensions, and re-mounting brackets for both the bumpers and fan. but if you can gain the extra lift your looking for in a body lift with some fender trimming and some wider fender flares, then you've just kept your truck better off keeping the COG lower. anyways, thanks for the recognition Dav3, glad i could pass on some thougts to you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts