Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I put a bottle of stp fuel cleaner in my camry to help with the poor mileage and all of the sudden the engine's sporadically losing power and struggling when I go on steep hills and the check engine light has turned on.

The engine has 170k miles on it and had a head gasket replaced a few hundred miles ago. The acceleration is weak. I doubt it's the fuel cleaner and I read somewhere that the coolant leaked from blown head gasket might've damaged the sensors.

Does this sound like an o2 sensor problem?

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
Well WTF is the CEL saying?

·
Registered
2015 Subaru WRX STI
4,407 Posts
If the O2 sensor needs to be replaces, that may be the reason why.

Recently my check engine light has come on (computer read O2 sensor), and my MPG has been dropping. I used to get around 21.5mpg city/hwy, I decided to go with 93 octane gas and get some fuel injector cleaner, and it dropped to around 18.5mpg, and when I filled up today it was only 16.8mpg.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
yes

and there's no point asking questions until you check out what the CEL is- otherwise it's all just speculation

·
Dealer Tech..not Toyota
540 Posts
also stp isnt the best cleaner, get lucas, and seafoam if you wanna do it right! that motor should pump! check the cel, do a full tune up (if not done recently), and go kick ass!

BTW- i havent been on in a while, cause i toasted another trans. so im gonna do a 5speed swap eventually. im going to complete my 300ZX first.

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
it almost sounds as if he has a clogged fuel filter.

if the o2 sensor fails the car resorts to a default air/fuel mixture and that isnt always the best for driving or for the car itself. its an expensive repair (if you cant do it yourself), but its worth it.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru WRX STI
4,407 Posts
d0rkiishchris said:
just curious, how much did it run you to have that changed?
When I got one of mine done the repair shop charged $181 for the sensor, and $50 for labor.

The one that needs to be replaced soon in my car will be around $220, plus around $50 for labor :(

If it's the sensor 1 O2 sensor, it should be the one in the engine bay, which you can get to very quickly, otherwise it would be the 2nd one underneath the car, which is harder to get to.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was the o2 (cel code: 21 fyi). My mechanic wants $30 for labor which means it's dead simple to install right? Where do I look?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts