Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my cam to a goodyear service shop to get the timing belt and water pump replaced. The car has 193k on it and i bought it with 150k about 1.5 years ago. i did not know when the last time the belt was replaced but the car has never been a bother aside from the usual maintenance. Lately the engine was accelerating fine with the usual sounds, but there was an additional 'whine' coming from the engine. I was told it was my water pump, so i decided to get the timing belt done as well. now i know my first mistake was going to a goodyear shop, but the dealerships in albany will beat you over the head price-wise, and the last time i went to one, they knocked my ground wire loose from my stereo and killed my battery. anyway, i get the car back yesterday and it is running AWFUL!! there is no acceleration power and the RPM's are going upwards of 4.5k before shifting. i took it back and they have to 're-do it' i don't trust them in the least right about now. my worry is that nothing will be solved some $600.00 later. the tech mentioned that the engine is running a little warmer than it should too. Help!! I love this car and i want to do what i need to do so it runs well.

·
Registered
2002 Camry
2,231 Posts
Jason i think the shop probably botched the job some. The marks on the gears and pulleys have to be lined up exactly the way toyota says, or the cam(s) will be out of time with the crankshaft, and so the engine will not run how its supposed to. Probably the mechanic made a mistake and put the gears and belt back on a little bit off.

Another reason i believe its best to do it yourself whenever possible. At the ver y least, if it runs improperly after you do something, then you know exactly who's at fault.

·
MCH Engineer in training
532 Posts
yea....odds are more than likely to be out of line cam gears, not to worry unless they screw it up again at which point id demand a full refund and they do it over until its right. warmer than normal temps and lack of power along with extra loud operation are signs of poor timing adjustments. I did my timing one time myself, the cams were ever so slightly out of alignment, i could full throttle it and i wouldnt go much faster than 2-4 MPH

1 - 3 of 3 Posts