Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Rav4
5,764 Posts
fujitsu ten has a killer gen 3 am/fm/cd/amp combo that replaces your 1 din radio + storage shelf with a 2 din unit and the amp goes under the passenger seat. you'll need to source it on fleabay or somewhere of course. but it's an OEM toyota unit and it sounds great and at 120 watts, aint' nothing to sneeze at. there were also tweeters built into the door handles up front but you don't have to use those if you don't want. as far as adding an OEM amp to your, what i presume is a 1 din unit, i don't believe you have the wiring to support it as the 2 din unit comes with a y-connector to go to the amp.
tony

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Is it possible to keep my stock head unit and add an amp and sub to it? It would be nice to keep it looking original but have some nice beats in my trunk... Is this possible? Thanks
What is the part number of your existing head unit? It may already be connected to an existing amp (typically the amp, if it has one, has a short wiring harness between the head unit & radio, and the amp is located just below the head unit).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
fujitsu ten has a killer gen 3 am/fm/cd/amp combo that replaces your 1 din radio + storage shelf with a 2 din unit and the amp goes under the passenger seat. you'll need to source it on fleabay or somewhere of course. but it's an OEM toyota unit and it sounds great and at 120 watts, aint' nothing to sneeze at. there were also tweeters built into the door handles up front but you don't have to use those if you don't want. as far as adding an OEM amp to your, what i presume is a 1 din unit, i don't believe you have the wiring to support it as the 2 din unit comes with a y-connector to go to the amp.
tony
Mine is the 2 din with am fm tape and cd. The xle is the fully loaded model so I got the nice stereo that does include the tweeters on the doors. I don't care much for the OEM amp as I dont mind taking it out if I have too. Or Id just usr that for my door speakers and 6x9s in back and an aftermarket amp and subs for my bass. As far as IH8SPM's response, like I mentioned I likr the factory look, and I can.aleays grt thr sound Im looking for. I know how to tune and adjust systems, just never used a stock head unit before so thats why I posted this thread

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Here is why I said why.

http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/Pionee...ckage-Optional-Choice-of-Accessories/30948994

$99 and a $10 dash kit from eBay complete with harness. I understand you want the factory look but sometimes the effort is not worth it. Just my .02.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Well that deff looks like a chill deal for $99. Head unit is ehhh, but with all 4 speakers and a monoblock cheap amp, for $99 I guess its ok tho I wouldnt waste my time with it. Id still end up getting a better amp and full setup actually. I dont really like too cheap of stuff when it comes to my stereo equipment, Id rather spend a lil more and get better specs. What is this dash kit you speak of? Link please

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
tony
I'm with you on this judgment, mcgowaw. I have a System 10 on my 93 Celica convertible. The door woofers & all. I can honestly say I haven't heard a better audio system in a car yet, and that includes high-end late model cars. I replaced my door woofers with factory replacements - the porting in speaker case on these is really something as to the sound quality from them. Same with the rear corners.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm with you on this judgment, mcgowaw. I have a System 10 on my 93 Celica convertible. The door woofers & all. I can honestly say I haven't heard a better audio system in a car yet, and that includes high-end late model cars. I replaced my door woofers with factory replacements - the porting in speaker case on these is really something as to the sound quality from them. Same with the rear corners.
Yea I have the 2din unit I believe he was talking about. I havr the amp and stuff undet the seat and door tweeters n all. Ik guessing your saying you have the factory head unit in yours too correct?

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Yea I have the 2din unit I believe he was talking about. I havr the amp and stuff undet the seat and door tweeters n all. Ik guessing your saying you have the factory head unit in yours too correct?
Yes, the one shown below. I actually have 4 of these, one in my convertible, one I added to my son's 91 Celica ST, and 2 spares. Have a couple extra amps to. Just in case something fails.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, the one shown below. I actually have 4 of these, one in my convertible, one I added to my son's 91 Celica ST, and 2 spares. Have a couple extra amps to. Just in case something fails.

Nice! Now how did you get your system hooked up to it? Just run your remote wire to the head unit then do the ground and battery wire like normal to the amp and sub in back or what?

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Nice! Now how did you get your system hooked up to it? Just run your remote wire to the head unit then do the ground and battery wire like normal to the amp and sub in back or what?
My 93 Celica convertible had this system in as an original factory option, so I did not install anything. And it all works (the car only has 71,000 miles on it, so it hasn't seen a lot of wear & team).

For my son's 91 Celica ST, I didn't put the big 120 watt amplifier that sits under the passenger seat in. I just got a small factory amplifier from a salvage yard that was from a mid-level Celica, which had the bracket for mounting it just below the head unit. Then I just connected the original speaker wire harness to the small amp instead of the original head unit. That ST only has 4 speakers, but the combination of a very nice head unit and an amplifier improved the sound quality in that car nicely (not as good as an original System 10 setup though). I guess I have all the speakers and wiring harnesses and door panels to put a System 10 setup in that 91 Celica ST, but I'm really saving all that for parts for the convertible, should it ever need it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My 93 Celica convertible had this system in as an original factory option, so I did not install anything. And it all works (the car only has 71,000 miles on it, so it hasn't seen a lot of wear & team).

For my son's 91 Celica ST, I didn't put the big 120 watt amplifier that sits under the passenger seat in. I just got a small factory amplifier from a salvage yard that was from a mid-level Celica, which had the bracket for mounting it just below the head unit. Then I just connected the original speaker wire harness to the small amp instead of the original head unit. That ST only has 4 speakers, but the combination of a very nice head unit and an amplifier improved the sound quality in that car nicely (not as good as an original System 10 setup though). I guess I have all the speakers and wiring harnesses and door panels to put a System 10 setup in that 91 Celica ST, but I'm really saving all that for parts for the convertible, should it ever need it.
So the cars never actually had a SYSTEM SYSTEM then?? Im not talking factory amp, talking all aftermarket and and subs here... Only thing factory is the head unit

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
So the cars never actually had a SYSTEM SYSTEM then?? Im not talking factory amp, talking all aftermarket and and subs here... Only thing factory is the head unit
My 1993 Celica convertible has the complete System 10 audio system in it, as it was built from the factory.

My son's 1991 Celica does not have a System 10 audio system, it only has the System 10 head unit, and a smaller external amp used on many Toyota decks (decks that did not have the very small amp built-in), and only the original 4 speakers in that car. All parts are Toyota factory items.

The head units in both the 93 Celica and 91 Celica are identical, and interchangeable.

I believe I have 2 spare head units for a System 10 system, and I have one complete System 10 (the door panels, head unit, amp, all the speakers, and the complete wiring harnesses) as a backup for my convertible, or if I decide to put it into my son's car (not likely).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.