Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this 92 toyota pickup with a blown rear...the truck has a 4in suspension and a 3in body lift...is there something you have to do to the rear when you lift it..pretty sure the dude blew the rear cause when he lifted it he never supported it. Any help would be awesome thanks

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
pretty sure the dude blew the rear cause when he lifted it he never supported it
I don't follow, can you give more info?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess what I'm trying to say is what are you supposed to do to your rear when you lift your truck...like as far as supporting it from moving up and down when that torque kicks in...I heard that you can put some kind of wedge in to tilt your rear to change the angle on the driveshaft...or like the bars that support your rear to the frame from twisting

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
The rear end has no clue if it is in a lifted truck or not. If he killed the rear end, it's much more likely that oversized tires and aggressive use did it in.

Correcting pinion angle would have affect the life of the Ujoints. If this is a 4x4 (hopefully with all of that driveway lift) you'll need to match the front gears with your new rear end too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea I took the front cover off and counted the teeth to make sure they were the same..the gears are 5.29 and has a locker..this guy was saying that the reason why it blew was cause the rear was moving around cause it has to be supported somehow when u lift it...idk much about lifting a truck so any help about this would be cool thanks

·
Registered
608 Posts
:bullshitz, I have 4 & 3 with 5.29s and lockers... I'd say they didn't change the fluid regularly, didn't fill it up all the way, or it wasn't set up properly.

Dont get me wrong you can certainly twist up that rear with those gears, but there are a lot of other parts that will fail before those gears do.

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
I guess what I'm trying to say is what are you supposed to do to your rear when you lift your truck...like as far as supporting it from moving up and down when that torque kicks in...I heard that you can put some kind of wedge in to tilt your rear to change the angle on the driveshaft...or like the bars that support your rear to the frame from twisting
OK, you are talking about 2 diferent things here.

Degree shims are used to correct pinion angle problems caused by lift springs. A bad pinion angle will cause vibrations.

A traction bar can be added to prevent axle wrap.

Sounds like you want the trac bar.

Reactions: HEAVY_GD

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
No, do you?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I been doin some research about all this shit...yes I do have 4 in blocks but I think I'm gettin rid of them n going w the 4in lift from leaf springs n prolly a trac bar..how do I figure out what degree shim I need

·
Supafly
1991 toyota pickup
4,401 Posts
You need to calculate the angle of your driveline from the transfercase and the angle from your axle. They need to be within 1 degree of each other to eliminate vibrations.

Or if you have a double-cardan joint then your rear axle needs to point directly at the driveshaft (no angle)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts