Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

Cant for the life of me remove the rear brake drums.

I dont think the adjuster is the problem. There is no drag on the wheels as I spin them. I beggining to think the drums are really rusted to the hubs!
I cant get any slack when I try to pull the drums.

Any sugestions??

Thanks in advance
Gooser

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
spray some rust penetrant on the joint between the drum and hub.

tighten bolts (8mm x 1.25 thread) through the holes in the drum to press it off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vicoor

Thanks

The threaded holes are stripped!:disappoin

I took it to a brake place earlier today, and They refused to try and get them off!!!!!!

I sprayed some PB blaster on the joint between the hub and drum and will try it again(pounding on it with a plastic hammer) every afternoon after I drive it back and forth to work!

Anyone else??

Thanks much

Gooser

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
Remember,,,,,Grasshopper......

with rust, patience is virtuous.

sounds like a plan

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
Get a heavy hammer and start beating on the drum, between lugs and on the outside edge all around. That and spray penetrante. It will take a while and a lot of beating, and some prying too.

·
Registered
397 Posts
try not to bend your backing plate when prying though. That tends to cause a dragging/grinding sound..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well,,:) an up-date!

I FINALLY removed the rear drums!!! A week of PB Blaster, and beatin the wholly livin he!! out of em, and they finally gave up.

Rear brakes were like new!!:rolleyes::eek: 143,000 miles!

I cleaned everythin up real; good,, and tapped a couple of existing holes in the drums with Fresh new threads,, for next time!(there was no Phillips head screw holding the drums on)

Thanks all for the help!!

Gooser

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
You did put anti-sieze compoud on the hubs....

Didn't you,

I hate having to work behind someone you doesn't do that

·
Registered
89 p'up
849 Posts
if your rear brakes aren't worn out in 143,000 miles, you might want to adjust the LSPV a little. a little adjustment of it means the rear brakes more, but it's still mostly on the front end to stop the truck. just don't make it so the rear skids !

after i replaced my leaking lspv, i adjusted it on a wet parking lot so that the front locks before it, but only -just- before it. made a good difference at speed, and in the wet. :)

congrats on the completion.

:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts