Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
i will always own a camry
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
my freind who has a 93 probe gt that is lowered and has a s/r/i constantly says that his pos ford will spank my camry anytime on the 1/4 trake in wi.
all i have done to my car is eibach pro kit, strut brace, custom cat back dual exhaust, and a ghetto intake, (jus a filter mounted to the end of my maf)
im pretty sure that i will beat him in the 1/4, but i know that he will get me off the jump. my car is awfully slow for a takeoff. but, i also have alot of top end power wich i know he doesnt have.
i was wondering if you people have any input on who you think will win. we both have automatics, but i race with the power button engaged and overdrive off.
i think that i will walk him after about 150 -200 m from the start line.
will i get him from the jump if i do a neutral drop?? i also know that that is bad for my tranny
let me know who you think will win, any suggestions will be accepted

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
This is at a track right? Street is big no-no.

If so, do a search about launching automatics on this site. Good pointers.

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea hpoefully it will be at the track. great lakes dragway. if not theres a backroad near where i live, not to shabby for a race, i jus cannot afford a ticket. so more than likely at a track

·
Registered
68 Posts
its true 3vz-fe takeoffs are slow..

has he done anything to the engine?
does he have a GT V6?
V6 has 164 hp/156 tq
I think it weighs in the 2700s
automatic in the probe is sluggish as hell

3vz-fe has 185/203 stock i think your mods should add a few more...

if he had 5spd i think you would lose,
seems like a drivers race but i dunno :confused:

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
Trust me, he'll spank you even if he's not as good of a driver. Unless you're sure he's going to have a really slow RT, I wouldn't put any money on that race. ;)

US spec '92 and '93 3vz-fe's are 185hp 194lb/ft.

With your ghetto intake you're loosing power compaired to the stock setup also.

We have quite a few MX6/Probes around here. The ones with turbos are quite fast, but normal ones are enough to walk any close to stock v6 camry/es 300.

http://www.mx6.com

'93 v6 should run mid-high 16s with an A/T, but if you're right ins aying that he has a S upgrade, you're going to get walked really bad start to finish.

·
I'm a Mac
DD - 94 Mitsu 3000GT
4,062 Posts
dont do a neutral drop... thats for spinning tires (and high school kids), if you want to win a race you dont want tire spin, thats power lost. just put your left foot on the brake pedal as the engine builds up power and let it go around 3.5-4k rpms... try it a few times and see what works best.. you dont want tire spin, but you want higest revs possible without spinning.

just give it a shot man, let us know how it goes... what are the specifics on this probe? is it 4 cyl or v6... if it is v6 he will own you, 4 cyl you will probably win. but he might have an advantage with a standard tranny if he has one...

i think you are gaining power or have equal power with the cone intake rather than the stock box. i dont know what is on your mind toys... its just like a simple intake tube with cone filter... just mounted right onto the rubber piping... mine is like that... except it looks different cause my 1mz has MAF and the 3vz uses AFM

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
He can't build revs to 3.5-4K rpm.
The torque convertor mated to both the a540 and a541 trannies stall at 2800rpm :\ Which, btw, is only enough to bark one tire in the dry.

If you were talking stock, the gen2 mx6/probe should run mid-high 16s, which a stock wieght camry should run low 16s. If they guy has one of the many SC kits avalible for that engine, the camry is going to get walked start to finish.

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
hypeman said:
its true 3vz-fe takeoffs are slow..
3vz take off is hardly slow. It flys through first gear. It's the other gears that it takes all day in:rolleyes:

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
he has a 93 gt v6 automatic. the reason i ask is that i raced him on a highway once and my point being, i didnt know he was racing, there was an 93 or so altima in the far right lane. the probe was in the middle. i was in the left. they both peel like hell on green and then i gunn it after i noticed they were racing(about 1-2 seconds later). i walked on him till we hit about 85mph then i passed him. i could tell he had the petal to the floor cause i could hear his intake everytime his tranny changed gears. he didn't let off once. i dont know what happened to the nissan, but we kept pushing it, and he was slowly getting smaller and smaller in my rearview, i shut it down at about 125mph or so.
thats why i think that if we were to race i would walk him and pass him in the 1/4 mile race. his car sounds and looks agressive but to me its awfully slow.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
wow...a racing thread....but on the track :D :thumbup:

but seriously, if its a gt auto, then you *should* be about even, and it'll just depend on who gets a better "launch"...kinda funny talking about it that way since both are auto.....

I can only speak from experience for this one tho...

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
^
Racing noob:lol:

Autos are awesome for racing. Drag that is. More consistant. Less driver error. And that's what kills you in the end. There's a reason some of the top bracket racers run autos ;)

It's all in the launch. Hold down the brake and get it up to about 2,000RPM. You won't have much tire spin and will get a quick launch.

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
^newb, they're not built transmissions.

A/T are better when they're buiklt.

Technically any v6 Camry will beat the probe/mx6 in stockr aces by a little bit. The problem is that if he has the mods you say he does, you don't have a change.

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
Toysrme said:
^newb, they're not built transmissions.

A/T are better when they're buiklt.

Technically any v6 Camry will beat the probe/mx6 in stockr aces by a little bit. The problem is that if he has the mods you say he does, you don't have a change.
I believe you mean "you don't have a chance" :p:

But the only reason the transmission is built is to be able to handle the power that the race engine is putting out. But they don't have fully built race engines, so it doesn't matter. They will still run consistant. And that's all that matters.

*Gearing doesn't matter because neither of them have modified theirs.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
^ I meant "launch" in the fact that it takes no skill in an auto....if he knows his car, he'll always have consistent times.....

meh...time for a high stall torque converter then....;)

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you guys are saying that i said he has some mods, all that probe has is a short ram intake and drop springs. i doubt it if the s/r/i gave him a substantial(spelling??) hp gain. he also has some heavy 18 inch rims verses my 17's wich arent too shabby.
anyways, i figure that im pushing about 195 horses, maybe more with my few mods and i weigh in at about 3300 pounds
hes probly somewhere around the 170 hp range and is at about 2700+ pounds.
i think i may have more horses at the wheels than he does at the crank, thats just my math though.
with me running low 16's stock and him running mid-high 16's stock my car is faster than his out the box.
im pretty sure that my few mods cut off some tenths on the 1/4.
his car only has drop springs and s/r/i, no exhaust or anything, i think his hp rating and 1/4 mile time is probably still stock. with little added weight from rims and system.
from my calculations i think i may own him on the track but thas jus the way im thinking
what do you think???

·
permanent hiatus
735 Posts
just race him and let us know already. all this speculation is killing the excitement :snore:

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
You said he has a S, i took that as a supercharger upgrade on how common they are on that engine.

Good luck either way. Drop some wieght in your car and you'll pick him off no amtter what he does.

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
Eye8Pussies said:
^ I meant "launch" in the fact that it takes no skill in an auto....if he knows his car, he'll always have consistent times.....

meh...time for a high stall torque converter then....;)

Drag racing takes no skill either way:rolleyes: Anyone can go in a straight line, try Auto-X ;)

The only type of racing where a 400hp Vette can lose to a 90hp Neon :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts