Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1993 SR5 V6 4runner
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey whats up. So ive been doing a whole lot of research and Im overwelmed. I need someones advice on what would be the easiest way for more power. Ive looked at the supra engines, lexus v8s and ive found that there is alot of negatives. Can someone give me opinions? plz.
Thank You

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
First off, what engine do you have now? makes a big difference.
Second, how much money do you want to put into it?
How much time do you have ? (ie, is it a DD and you need to do it in a weekend, etc)

·
Registered
1993 SR5 V6 4runner
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He problems I've heard. The supra engine requires a whole lot of work and doesn't fit properly. The Lexus v8 is very complicated and supposably cost a fortune. The best one I saw was he 3.4l tinnier engine

·
Registered
Lndcrs, 4run, camry,
2,448 Posts
Spokane,

If you sold that rig and got approx 3500 for it and then used your other 3500 thats 7000 and you could get yourself a pretty nice newer rig with the 3.4 in it and you would not have to do all the work. Unless you don't have anything better to do with your time, and want something unique??? Just a thought.

·
Registered
1993 SR5 V6 4runner
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i was considering that but i love my rig. i have a 93. ive put way to much time into it to just sell it. I just want some more advice on wht to do with power.

·
11,513 Posts
First make a list of engines that would fit and go from there. You don't want too big of an engine that won't fit and would be a chore to work on, maintenance wise.

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
The 3.0 is a weak engine to begin with, putting a turbo on it would be like trying to put out a fire with gasoline, it isn't going to end well.

The 3.4 would be a good swap, and Toyota has a supercharger for it.

·
Registered
1990 Corolla Sedan
89 Posts
1UZ is the only way man, I don't see how it's so complicated. Here in New Zealand, we have kits (bell housing and engine mounts) it's BY FAR the best bang for buck, (in New Zealand that is) from my experience, they are pretty much slap in and roll, maybe not THAT easy, but still a very very very good option. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
Lndcrs, 4run, camry,
2,448 Posts
I see, Didn't realize the engine had a bad wrap.

I see why you want to move on.
When the mods are done to the 3.0, its a good stock motor, any more than that and you would be asking for trouble. It was not designed to be a high perf. motor.

·
Registered
1993 SR5 V6 4runner
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well know i blew a freakin head gasket. fml. So now im really thinkin its time that i just swap the engine since my car is sittin. Im thinkin the 3.4. but the 1uz is tht a nice engine?

·
Registered
1990 Corolla Sedan
89 Posts
Well know i blew a freakin head gasket. fml. So now im really thinkin its time that i just swap the engine since my car is sittin. Im thinkin the 3.4. but the 1uz is tht a nice engine?

The 1UZ is the BEST engine, better fuel economy than the 3.0 V6, if ya foot aint made of lead, soooooo reliable, plenty of power, and good base for more power, an SC14 off a Previa, Estima, whatever, is a wicked bolt on for the 1UZ, honestly, can't beat it! GO FOR IT!!!!!

In saying all this, 1UZ and parts are easy to come by for me, but still, if you do it, you will love it.

Damn head gasket! All the best mate.

·
Registered
1993 SR5 V6 4runner
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I dont think that engine could handle a turbo. It isnt a performance engine. Lol now my 4runner just blew a head gasket. shit ey. Well now heres the problem. The 5vz-fe(3.4) runs around the same price it costs to replace the head gasket. but i dont know how to do a engine swap. i need advice on wht to do. I got $1500 right now. Im not tossin my 4runner. I love that thing and Im sticken to the plans i got for it. What to do??

·
Registered
1993 SR5 V6 4runner
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah head gaskets suck. I wish i knew how to work on toyotas. I just honestly dont know how to work on cars. I need assistance.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts