Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
am i the only one on here with a 7afe that needs to replace the waterpump and/or waterpump gasket every year?? actually for me, it's been 2 times a year!!! I'm on my 4th(or is it 5th now) waterpump repair! half was the waterpump itself, coolant was leaking from the wep hole, and the other half repairs was on the gasket!! and guess what? it's leaking again!!! $#%$^$%^$%#$!!!!!!! Although I've noticed a pattern in cold weather is when it starts to leak here in the midwest, perhaps the gasket gets weak in cold winter weathers?? otherwise summer driving seems fine most of the time. Car does not heat or anything like that, just losing coolant in the reservior and radiator.

G

·
maybe you keep pinching the gasket when you put it on, and or you should try replacing it with a OEM waterpump instead of an aftermarket one (assuming you are using a Checker, Napa, Autozone pump).

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^the dealers told me even the oem gasket is paper, called every place, they're all paper

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
about a year ago you replaced the whole water pump if i remember corectly... when you did did the pump come complete with the back half or was it a non toyota pump that only included the front?.....

It may be possible that the mating surfaces aren't flat causing the gaskets to fail...

I just looked my OEM pump on my old engine, has one of those ruberized steel gaskets, try another dealership you may find they offer you the proper gasket....

G

·
rice said:
^the dealers told me even the oem gasket is paper, called every place, they're all paper
dude read what i posted

ghost_ryder35 said:
maybe you keep pinching the gasket when you put it on, and or you should try replacing it with a OEM waterpump instead of an aftermarket one (assuming you are using a Checker, Napa, Autozone pump).
i never said anything about paper gaskets. i was getting at what 94_rolla is getting at the oem toyota pump is better and easier to work with, the aftermarket waterpumps are just the front half of the water pump, they dont come with the baking. if you buy from the dealer it comes as one piece and you wont have to fuck with the gasket just the 0 ring by the water intlet pipe to the back of the waterpump and the 0 ring to the block and no waterpump gasket

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
im assuming the oem waterpump from the dealers is $200+, i didn't wanna go that route, I'll probably find a junked one instead. 94_rolla_guy, are you sure its a steel gasket? even the dealers said it was paper, but if your old waterpump still work, i'll buy it from ya, 7afe or 4afe? if i remember, it shouldn't matter, right?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
the gasket is one of those rubberized steel gaskets on my spare engine.. i think the water pump is $120 cdn so it shouldn't be too bad.. sometimes dealers revise parts or use off brands for what ever reasons, so if your not satisfied try another dealer sometimes the parts will be different.. Also watch the stupid O-ring gasket to the block, when i got mine it was smaller and didn't seal properly it was a revised multi-fit part, i had to take it apart cause it leaked and add RTV

that old water pump has like 170K on it i wouldn't recomend....

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just pulled a 7afe motor that threw a rod. the top half of the motor is fine. Make me an offer on the waterpump and its yours. Contact me through pm if you're interested.

G

·
rice said:
im assuming the oem waterpump from the dealers is $200+, i didn't wanna go that route, I'll probably find a junked one instead. 94_rolla_guy, are you sure its a steel gasket? even the dealers said it was paper, but if your old waterpump still work, i'll buy it from ya, 7afe or 4afe? if i remember, it shouldn't matter, right?
LOL. do some research dude. It's $90 bucks after tax at the dealer, and if you keep replacing it why not go that route so you dont have to replace it any more? or cheap toytaparts.com has it listed for $66 plus shipping. (http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getLocator&siteid=214001&chapter=AMM800&appSectionid=8&groupid=62105&make=34&model=Corolla&year=1994&catalogid=1)

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^are you sure it's for the whole waterpump? the local napa, advance auto, checkers, etc around here sell waterpumps under $100, but like 94_rolla was saying, it only includes the half with the blades and not the other half, and i've replaced that half 2-3 times already.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Next time you change the waterpump, make sure the surface is clean. Could be a piece of gasket or something might have become stuck to the surface. Dont use a gasket this time; use the black high height RTV and make your own gasket. I would go with an OEM waterpump too.

G

·
rice said:
^are you sure it's for the whole waterpump? the local napa, advance auto, checkers, etc around here sell waterpumps under $100, but like 94_rolla was saying, it only includes the half with the blades and not the other half, and i've replaced that half 2-3 times already.
the ones napa and autozone and checker etc... are selling are $50 bucks. go to the dealer and pick up a quality waterpump and save your self the headache and or take a razor and clean the surface on the motor before trying to put the pump on and feel it to make sure there are no imperfections. then use a torque wrench and torque everything down to spec. you should have a problem.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just Guess...

Have You Checked Cooling System Apart From Water Pump For Any Kind Og Possible Blockage Or Leakage.

The Point Is : Is Waterpump Gets Enough Coolant To Recirculate Or Just Runs Dry?

G

·
bonnie* said:
Just Guess...

Have You Checked Cooling System Apart From Water Pump For Any Kind Og Possible Blockage Or Leakage.

The Point Is : Is Waterpump Gets Enough Coolant To Recirculate Or Just Runs Dry?
i would assume that since its not over heating that it circulates perfectly fine

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
correct, it's not over-heating or anything abnormal. I'll try a STEALership pump when i save up some $$$$$.

G

·
rice said:
correct, it's not over-heating or anything abnormal. I'll try a STEALership pump when i save up some $$$$$.
yea it sucks having to get raped by the stealership, the only parts I buy from them is dizzy parts, and cooling system parts excluding the radiator. Sometimes in my night-mares I see people walking around with shirts that say "Harder Toyota, Harder"

1 - 20 of 20 Posts