Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to do the timing belt as well as the water pump while apart on a 5SFE engine. I have a concern about the replacement water pumps on Ebay with the pressed steel impellers. Does the original pump have a cast impeller? I have had trouble in the past with pressed steel impellers on old holdens (Complete with coolant) where the temperature rises when in traffic due to the pressed steel impellers not keeping up with the circulation required? I also have an identical 93 camry that doesn't run anymore. I have had the camry since 2005 when it had 70k on the clock. The belt and pump have been done several times in its 290k life. It failed to start a while back after a 400k round trip the previous day. The RACQ man came and said it was the module in the dizzy as it still had fuel pressure when he checked it. A mechanic mate replaced the module and still no go. Over the next few weeks we replaced everything electrical on the Apollo with each individual electrical part from the camry. The Apollo always ran perfectly. And the camry hasn't gone since. All parts were reinstated onto the camy each time. I have sold both cars but will do the belt and water pump as the Apollo is going to a young girl as her first car. It also has 290k on the clock and still runs and drives well. Any clues about the no go camry or the water pump quality or impellers would be appreciated. I don't have any diagnostic equipment nor would I know how to use it if I did? Thanks in advance. Ron

·
short-throw dipstick
5,982 Posts
I'd get the Aisin TKT-002 kit as it's the OE parts reboxed by Aisin. Thereafter if you use the right coolant and change it on time the water pump will last at least to the next timing belt change, if not two changes. Changing coolant on time seems to be the key to water pump longevity on most Toyotas.

·
'93 LE Wagon V6 '94 LE I4
'93 V6 wagon, '94 I4
849 Posts
Plus 1 on the Aisin kit. Be advised that it does NOT contain the tensioner spring, so you may want to pick one up if you think it is necessary. My local guy commented on that fact, but also commented on the apparent quality of the Aisin kit components. He installed the kit using the old spring and the car runs great.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your replies. I was going through my spares and found a new master parts water pump which has the pressed steel impeller. I have never had any overheating problems with either the camry or the apollo. The last time I did the camry I didn't change the water pump as it always ran with the temp gauge horizontal and always had the correct coolant in it. I have done the thermostat on both cars. I have no idea if or when the apollo belt and or water pump were done as the previous owner passed away in 2013 and I picked it up with 220ks on the clock for $300 from her brother and sister in law. I have done around 70,000k's in it without missing a beat after fitting a battery from my spares and getting a Safety Certificate.
I've seen some nasty damage done to engines with pressed steel impellers and no. little or wrong coolant. A mate drove his VC commodore about 200k's to my place after he rang to say it was overheating. I told him not to drive it any further. Later that night he turned up at my home. I removed the water pump and it had no impeller at all!!! I looked down below the manifold and the block was cracked between the welch plugs. I threw another old water pump on it and a bottle of irontite in it and he drove off to look for another engine.
Cheers,
Ron

1 - 4 of 4 Posts