Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Recently the AC in my 93 Camry stopped cooling. The fans blow and the lights come on, so i am sure it has got something to do with the refregerent. I was wondering if someone could tell me if i can get a recharger kit and fill the refregerent myself. Also, what does a 93 camry use...R-12 or R-134. I live in Honolulu and it's might hot here. Please help.
Thanks.

·
Registered
750 Posts
They changed part way through that year. There should be a decal on the hood that tells you what kind it is, or in the manual. If it has been switched since then, there would be a sticker somewhere letting you know. If it is R12, it will probably have to be switched over, unless you can find someone that will still service R12.

If it is 134, there are recharge cans available, But I would advise that you make sure that there is nothing else wrong and getting the system pressure/leak checked would be a good start. Too much fluid could damage the whole system.

·
Registered
1993 Camry LE
172 Posts
Well a cheapy way of doings things would be to convert it to the R-134A as stated above and then from there fill it with one can. I recently had done this to my 93 LE (well, not myself. My father.) and that fixed my issue and assured me that it wasn't a leak either.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How does one convert an R-12 to R-134? Can you or your father give me some pointers? What kits, parts do i need to buy

·
Registered
92 camry dx
40 Posts
all you need to do is go and buy a retro fit kit and a new recever/dryer will cost about $70 total but u need to find a shop certified to do a/c work to reclaim/charge ur system. i retrofitted my 1992 just after i got certified to do a/c work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts