Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

New here, and in dire need of help with '93 Camry which came to a screeching halt while driving @45MPH+. It was as though I had slammed on the brakes!

Earlier in the day, it did not seem to pick up power like it does normally while going up entrance ramp onto the highway. Just before the incident, exhibited a major lag/kickback sort of feeling ~ just like it did before the transmission died and was replaced (w/a 55,000 transmission) just a mere 3 weeks ago.

So, driving the car, picking up acceleration to about 45MPH, and it screeches to a complete halt. Engine NOT affected - it kept purring on. However, car would not go in drive nor in reverse. Had it towed, put in neutral to push into spot, wheels would NOT move. Turned car off, turned it back on, then all of a sudden it drives (shaky and with a lag, but drives, both forward/reverse).

Car has almost all new parts: alternator, spark plugs, belts and wirings, front axel (it broke the same day as my transmission died), brakes, and like I mentioned, just put in a 55,000 mile transmission.

Mechanic claims it is not the transmission (though the lag/kickback felt the same to me as it did in last one just as it was dying) but the anti-lock system. Wants to fix anything for free since he gave me a one year warranty that 'nothing else would go wrong on the car' - as he should, this would make it the fourth incident in 6 months. I'm at a point where I'm not sure I trust him, and I don't want to endanger my life, that of my family, and of anyone else on the road if this were to happen again.

In your opinion, is it:
- the anti-lock system, like he claims?
- this 'new' 55,000 mile old transmission? is it possible to stick a recalled transmission like those of '07 into a '93 (those which lost 2nd/5th gear while in drive)?
- as I'd read in other similar-but-not-quite-the-issue threads, a timing belt/water pump issue?
- some other issue or a compounded issue that would cause lags and slips in power and mild kickbacks and screeching halt (and 25% less fuel economy since having had alternator/fuses/wirings replaced)?

Thank you so much for your help!!!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I seriously doubt they were able to find a trans with 55000 miles. These cars are over 20 years old, the chances of that is basically 0.

What more than likely happened is that the used junkyard trans is bad. Antilock brake issues wont cause what you describe.

If the engine runs fine the timing belt is ok.

Find a new mechanic.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts