Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day to all, my first post.:D
The Minister for War and Finance"s sep/93 5S-Fe automatic Camry is driving me nuts lately.:lol: Car has 150,000Ks on it and has been well maintained. Driving to a nearby town 100ks away it ran faultlessly.When returning it just stopped as if the key was turned off several times and after waiting 10 minutes or so it would start and run as if nothing went wrong for about 15 to 20 minutes then stop again. Within 5 minutes of stopping it will not start again. I checked the fuel and filter all ok. Loosened the fuel filler cap, no vacuum etc. The car was taken to local Toyota dealer and they could not find a fault [Ran the engine at idle for 1 hour and 20 minute road test, said no error code will show]. Note on invoice said guess, fuel pump may be on the way out,but not sure. Also car was fitted with new plug leads and distributor cap after this happened and it still continued to cut out. The motor is not running hot. Also perhaps not related but lately during heavy rain the speedo goes wild showing 120/ 140 KPH while following other traffic obviously doing 60KPH.:confused: Hope you can help and please excuse such a long post. Best regards.

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
Stopped as in just died when you were driving on the road, or stopped as when waiting at a stoplight, stop sign, etc?

The speedo receives an electronic signal from the speed sensor mounted on top of the differential housing. This info is also sent to the computer to aid in engine management.

If the speedo is inaccurate in wet weather suggest the checking wiring and wiring plug attached to the sensor.

Unless the pump stopped working for small periods of times causing the engine to die, the general sign of a failing pump is lack of engine performance.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
^+1 on toyomoho's questions... information on the few minutes before it died may be helpful.

If the CEL light does come on try to get to a mechanic before turning the key off so the error code is still stored (though if you're stuck on the side of the road this is a catch 22). This is likely an OBD1 so you could pull the code yourself while the CEL is on if you're willing to. Let us know and one of the guys will probably post up the sockets that you need to jump to do this.

One other question, when you are unable to start the car, does the CEL light come on with the rest of the indicator lights when you turn the key to accessory position? It should.

Kep

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stopped as in just died when you were driving on the road, or stopped as when waiting at a stoplight, stop sign, etc?

The speedo receives an electronic signal from the speed sensor mounted on top of the differential housing. This info is also sent to the computer to aid in engine management.

If the speedo is inaccurate in wet weather suggest the checking wiring and wiring plug attached to the sensor.

Unless the pump stopped working for small periods of times causing the engine to die, the general sign of a failing pump is lack of engine performance.
Cheers toyomoho, thanks for your help.
Re the speedo. My son is an electrician and he checked the sender with his multimeter and it seemed to comply with the spec for it also it was cleaned with circut cleaner and then sprayed with a Innox for waterproofing after attaching it again.
Re the pump, Seconds before it cuts out the car has good performance and economy. I would have thought there would be some slight surging or rough running before cut out with a failing pump similar to running out of fuel. It stops as if the key was turned off while driving.
The car cut out several times while driving at highway speed 100KPH [60MPH] also at two traffic lights and while going around a roundabout. It will not start again until it has been sitting for approximately 5 minutes, then runs like new until next time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^+1 on toyomoho's questions... information on the few minutes before it died may be helpful.

If the CEL light does come on try to get to a mechanic before turning the key off so the error code is still stored (though if you're stuck on the side of the road this is a catch 22). This is likely an OBD1 so you could pull the code yourself while the CEL is on if you're willing to. Let us know and one of the guys will probably post up the sockets that you need to jump to do this.

One other question, when you are unable to start the car, does the CEL light come on with the rest of the indicator lights when you turn the key to accessory position? It should.

Kep
Cheers Kep and thanks.
This problem happened about a month ago at around 10.30 pm and the only light that I can remember coming on was the engine light on the right hand side of the instrument panel. I am not familiar with the Camry as I never drive it, drive diesel Landcruiser HJ75 Ute.We checked the plug wires, mostly between 9 and 12KOMS [if I remember the spec, can go to 26K] so we changed the distributor cap, wires and spark plugs.Also checked the Igniter. I ordered another coil but got the wrong coil so it will be sent back this week.This cutting out seems to only happen when the engine is warm as the car is sitting here and will start anytime, first crank, when cold.
Toyota worked on the car for about 4 hours and said everything was up to spes and found no fault and said nothing shows on diognostic. They only charged her for an hour labor. Wife has been driving my second car as she is too scared to drive it as when it stops she cannot push it out of traffic.Also when it cuts out on the highway it is not at similar time distance periods, just random.When it was being driven to Toyota it broke down and would not start and had to be taken to the dealership on a tilt tray tow truck. Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Burnt EGR valve. Common problem that drives mechanics and customers crazy.

Replace and good to go. Trust me. :)

Enjoy and God Bless!
Mike/GameDay

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just in case this is any help to anyone. I finally got the riceburner sorted.
The speedo itself was not working as it should and not the sender as I suspected.I changed out the sender and it continued to read fast and after changing the speedo it was as intended.

The distributor was changed and the improvement was immediately noticeable in power. The coil was obviously the problem, as soon as it got hot it started to break down and malfunction. The motor now runs sweet again.
Thanks to all who gave advise, much appreciated. best regards Gazza.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Makes sense, thanks for following up on this.

Kep

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
G'Day to all and best wishes for the new year.
This saga did not end here as I had hoped, and I appologise for not getting back sooner [guilty].
the camry ran ok for a couple of weeks [very short trips to the supermarket] but was soon cutting out again after driven about 10 km. My wife had it towed to a mechanics shop and he passed it to an auto electrician and after another $200.00 it broke down again next day. I again changed the distributor and ignitor, same thing. So I pulled out the computer and on inspection it showed the black capacitors in the computer were slowly melting [leaking] and this was running onto the circut board. Haydn, an outstanding bloke from Melbourne got me a used computer and when I changed the computer we have never had a problem again. Thanks again for your input and I hope this may help someone else.See the pics. Best regards Gazza.

·
Dave's
1,946 Posts
Thanks for the update. That's very interesting. Electronics can do amazing things but the problems they can create is pretty amazing as well!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the update. That's very interesting. Electronics can do amazing things but the problems they can create is pretty amazing as well!
Cheers, It was :headbang: for a while and it is hard to believe the mechanics could not pick this up with their electronic equipment:sosad: [shameful really].
There must have been some sort of power surge or spike to cause the damage to the capacitors.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts