Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
93 camry - oil leaking (pictures added)

Well I noticed a couple of days ago when I drive for at least 15 minutes I start seeing smoke coming out of my fenders with the nasty oil burning smell. I lifted the hood and I can see the smoke coming up from the bottom in front of the engine. I'm not sure where the oil is dripping from, tranny? oil filter? or other? How would I go about finding out? Thanks for all and any help.

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
wash down your engine really good and let it sit then go back and look for where oil is comming from. sound like your oil filter to me.

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
Do you have jack stands? Or Access to a lift? If you do, lift the car and wipe down the bottom of the engine with paper towels. Run it for 5-10min and then check again. A New trail of oil should have formed. From there you will be able to see where it is coming from.

If it is coming from the bottom side of the engine, I don't think it would be the filter. Because the filter (at least on the 3vz and I believe other V6s) is below the exhaust manifold. So it wouldn't cause any burning. However you may have a leaky distributor or a bad seal somewhere.

·
Sleeper-still sleeping
474 Posts
could be head gaskets, but then you might see oil forming around the seam right below the oil cap (it is for me...I have yet to fix that problem):disappoin

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can this possibly be transmission oil? is there anything tranny can drip on hot enough to make it smoke? I'll try to take a picture tomorrow of the spot where the smoke comes out from...Thanks everyone :cool:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just hope this aint nothing serious I just bought some 18" lexani krystal rims to put on the ride. Got a nice system in the ride already all i need is to mount those rims.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Check oil cap and front valve cover gasket. I had both of those shit out on me in a 2 week period from old age.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
let me know if the pictures are clear enough...does it look like it might be the oil filter?

thanks

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
It might be oil filter, but the only thing hot enough to make the oil smoke is the exhaust. Oil could be running along the bottom or the engine case and dripping on hot pipes.
What about under the car? What wet dark areas are under there?
Check your oil and trans levels lately?
Valve cover gasket leak seems a common issue, not in itself a serious issue but would not like to think thats a head gasket.
If it's leaking too bad, bring it in and have it checked out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
looks like a leaking valve cover gasket to me. Clean the gasket around the cover properly and check for leaks after running the engine for a day or two. The oil on this particular engine runs down the block and likely is burining off on the exhaust manifold....

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,959 Posts
did this start after you did an oil change? cause the only thing that i think that could be doing it is if you didn't put the oil filter on right

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You know what...it did start after I had my oil changed. But I'm not the one who changed it...it was changed by some ghetto ass shop so that could definitely be the problem. :cool:

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,959 Posts
they probably left the old seal on or crossed the threads. this is why i say to people to do thier own oil changes cause that way you won't pay up the ass to get screwed over.

is there a diy on this somewhere?

·
Registered
148 Posts
check that your oil filter is tight enough. If that is ok, if that fellow put to much oil when it was changed, it might have broken the rubber seal that goes underneath the place where you install the oil filter. Best way to chek: clean around the area anderneath the oil filter and then check if you have any leak. If that is the case, go to thr dealer and buy the rubber seal and change it. Good luck

1 - 17 of 17 Posts