Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently working on a 24 Hours of Lemons car with some guys. We (I) have an idea for something a bit different. We have a 93 camry 2.2 auto. Pretty much everything is bone stock. I was thinking about turning the engine, bolting on a trans, fabricating rear suspension and making it front engine rwd. Is there a manual transmission that will bolt right up? I know it is a ridiculous idea but considering it is for lemons... why not? Just want to do something different. We have also thought about just moving the entire drivetrain to the rear and make it mid-engine but I have already seen that before. Just an idea. Any help will be awesome.

·
One with the farce
2,886 Posts
No for the transmission question. Well technically, yes, but you'll need a $400+ bellhousing to fit the S series block. Moving the engine and transmission to the rear would be wiser than trying to hack it into an FR configuration.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know it would be easier to just move everything but where is the fun in that? I have also thought about getting a second complete drivetrain and making it dual engine awd. It isnt a matter of doing what is easy. I just want to mess around and do something stupid and different.

·
Cressida nut
4,578 Posts
with a welder anything's possible but you're talking about basically a whole new firewall, trans tunnel and rear floorpan.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know. I just wanted to know if there was a transmission that would natively bolt to the 5sfe. The rest of the sheet metal fabrication is fine. More just getting ideas than actually doing it. lol

·
One with the farce
2,886 Posts
What are the stipulations for drivetrain? If you're bent on a cheap RWD camry and are allowed to have any factory 4 cylinder for power, stuff a 3TC and T50 in there. Super cheap and plentiful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
only stipulation for the entire build is the vehicle itself (minus any safety equipment) must be under $500. as long as it is under that number, anything goes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
3 Participants
Tobiczyk
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing