Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off the car in question is a 93 celica gt 5spd. one morning i went outside and started it up to let it warm up (i live up north so i let it warm up for like 10 mins normally) everything was fine and normal. i went back out and car was not running. i got in it and went to start it up and it wouldnt start. now first off its my girlfriends car so i dont knw anything about it.
when you turn the key it sounds like that motor wont turn over. so i assumed the starter. but my friend said tha belts are turning when you go to start tha car, so tha motor is turning but it dont sound like it is. also when you turn tha key to tha "on" position you dont hear the fuel pump kick on. personally i dont know if the fuel pump is supposed to kick on with the key turned to the on posioioin or not but i assumed it is supposed to. also under the hood of tha car there is 2 fuse panels. one on drivers side and one on pass side, i checked tha main relay and fuse on the driver side for efi, and they are both good. on pass side tho there is a spot for a relay or something liek so for the fuel pump and is isnt there. today i replaced the fuel pump and tried tha key but it didnt kick on. for the hell of it i grabbed a wire and put the 2 ends on the metal tabs of the fuel pump fuse/relay thing and had my gf turn the key and nothing. now i didnt test the pump when i first got it and i dont have a tester to see if its getting electricity or not.
at tha moment what im wondering is if that one fuse thing actually needs one or not. if anyone can give me any info it would be most appreciated thx
also if anyone is confused ask anything and ill try to help you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes exactly. the motor is physically turning over, but you can hear it from the drivers seat, you know if your car is started and runnin and you turn the car to the start position and you hear the starter squeel/scratch? tahts what you hear when you turn it over.

·
Registered
55 Posts
maybe the the starter gear are gone and its grinding? it should give out that scratchy noise if the engine is not running

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats what i was thinking as well, but the only thing i was confused about is tha fact that i went out and started the car, then 10 minuites later went back out and it had been shut off. the car has never shut off on me while warming up and a starter not working wont shut the car off while its already running.

·
Registered
443 Posts
you instaled a new pump, yet still dont know if its working or not..

you need to get yourself 2 things.

Fuel Preshure Guage, and a DVM (Digital Volt Metter)

use the DVM to check the curcit to the pump, (FYI: the Power to the pump will cut if the mottor isnt runing after a second or 2, so its best you do this with 2 people, one to turn the car into the "RUN" posion, and you to Check the curent going to the pump)

if that all test's out, then you will need to use the Fuel Preshure Guage on your fuel rail and check to see if its within spec.

on a GT (5sFE) it should be between 38-44 PSI (thats out of my Haynes Manual)

if thats all cool, then your next order of biz is your Distributor, and your coil. make shure you check out all your Fuse's.

im not totaly understanding whats going on with your starter.

Dose it Turn over the mottor?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im not excatly shur either, thats tha main problem. i knew i had to test the harness to the pump to make shur its getting power i just havent had time to go and buy or find one. the fuel pressure is a good idea tho thx for that. as far as tha starter is concerned its physically turns the motor yes....just the motor is not "catching" which could very easily be a fuel problem if its not getting fuel so im assuming its not the starter anymore.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well found out a couple of things..... first off it wasnt a fuel pump, and its not a fuel problem. second of all its not the starter. but what i have found out is that there is no spark coming out of the distributor cap. i havent taken it apart yet to look and stuff but now i know its a electric problem. im assuming its the coil and i know the coil is internal so imma sit back and read the manual about how to check the coil to see if it works. ill be posting again soon.
btw since i had no official test light, i ended up using a left over compact crotch rocket directional and it worked just as good lol.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
+++update+++
took off the distributar cap and tested the ohm resistance of the ignition coil and guess what, no resistance, the coil is shot so im gonna be replacing that sometime over the winter.........and hope thats the only problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do you by chance have that old fuel pump laying around i can use. My pump took a crap and a new one is way too much. please? from one celica owner to another.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts