Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, i have a 1993 celica gt-s... recently purchased... lookin for a intake... little did i know when i bought the car that there were so few aftermarket parts for 5th generation celicas. i found a HKS cat back exhaust which i will be purchasing here soon. a preformance intake would be nice though, i read on this forum that you could use a 300zx intake and it would fit perfect. was wondering if anyone could verify that... if anyone has any suggestions or knows where i can find an intake.. let me know.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Welcome to TN, and Welcome to the Gen5 Club

allright, Intakes for the GT and GT-S

go to a parts store and ask to look over an aftermarket parts Book. in there your going to want to find some universal Intake Tubing. from there figure out what you need to make a CAI.

FYI: gen 5's have only so much parts for them. (if any) given the fact that the Alltrack is the true "sport model" of the car.
but never fear, this is a car for true do it your selfers.

now back to your intake, the car runs out of breath after about 4k given the fact that the stock airbox is so restrictive, so a CAI on this car works well. only BC you give it more Flow, the stock intake is already a cold air intake, it just dosent draw as well.

so you want to open up the flow and draw in cold air, your best way to do that is to run an intake pipe from the Throtel body down the front bumber over top of the Transmishon.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I believe the 96-99 civic piping will work for a short ram intake, as well as the 95 or 96+ mitsu galant(I believe) or you can do a homemade piping. Theres also a drop in K&N filter. Also, if you can find an Iceman Cold-Air Intake(stopped production), I suggest picking it up, it will be very hard to find one, but if you come across one, definetly pick it up.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Short Ram's for the Car hinder it more then they help is u ask me.

the engine bay is realy to hot to be drawing air from it..

but those are all options for you.

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
If you want SRI, just put a K&N filter instead of stock filter. You get better flow and its CAI already.
Don't use SRI, K&N drop in or full CAI.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Zrain said:
Short Ram's for the Car hinder it more then they help is u ask me.

the engine bay is realy to hot to be drawing air from it..

but those are all options for you.
it really depends what kind of climate you live in, it definately makes a difference if its drawing in cold air. I just mounted mine for now where the airbox was before i removed it, i left the duct coming from the front of the car so it still gets a bit of cold air. Its winter / spring over here at the moment so i havent run it in hot climate as of yet.

Heres a guide of how to make your own CAI for 5th gen celica
http://miata.cardomain.com/memberpage/482105/5

heres what mine looks like, sorry about the quality took it with my phone

·
Registered
443 Posts
GO Camra PHONE!!!

robbie, dose the car sound like its Suficating at or about 4k RPM?

BC thats how the car feals with a stock airbox.

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
Had similar setup. Had a temp sensor inside the filter. Start with outside temp. On every red light, temp go up 10C. While driving, temp go down 5C until next red light. So its 5C up every time you stop. Mine got pass 70C which my display can't go any higher.
Changed setup to real CAI with filter behind fender. Temp always stay the same, lower then outside temp when driving.
Since then no SRI for me. CAI or K&N drop in.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Zrain said:
GO Camra PHONE!!!

robbie, dose the car sound like its Suficating at or about 4k RPM?

BC thats how the car feals with a stock airbox.

nah mine revs frelly up to 5k where my peak power is reached, i can rev it up to 6k if i want to though, but my exhaust isnt stock.. Just took my car into brake place to have all 4 discs remachined to stop that damn brake sqeaking :(

·
Registered
443 Posts
you woudlent hapen to know the part number to that filter would you?

·
Registered
26 Posts
i dont know the part number for a drop in filter, which i assume u r asking for. The pod i used is just a cheap ass universal pod filter that i bought coz they had sold out of the k & n variant..

·
Registered
443 Posts
whats the spec's on it..

the aftermarket place looked at me like i was insane when i asked for a cone filter with a 2.5" outlet on it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ill have a look for you tonight, dont bother getting a drop-in filter into your airbox unless you plan to modify/replace the snorkel coming from the front of the car, its practically strangling the horseys ;)

·
Registered
443 Posts
i riped the snorkel right out of the car 2 days after i got the freeking thing BC i wanted it to have that Turbo Sound :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
yeh i replaced my whole airbox so i could have that mad sucking sound, im thinking of turboing my 5sfe soon anyhow. Gunna grab a exhaust manifold/oilpan and ct26 from a GT4/alltrac, port and polish, throw some new injectors in there, sparks, huge intercooler, turbosmart boost controller and type3 BOV. I might do a write-up on my 5sfte project because it is quite a rare occurence :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts