Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, just got mine today. I will post pics 2morow night, i know that makes a thread enjoyable. i have some work to do. the frame is in need of repair. i knwo some guys will frown and other will help. i used to be on and integra forum 24/7 untill i had to sell it about 2 years ago to buy my house. this is my first truck and v6. i am excited. i didnt just buy wat came first. i do like toyotas and always have. thsi is gonna be my fishing, hunting, and work truck..nothing fancy unless i get excited. i got it for 1000 with prob 700 in brand new parts alone. all in boxes and wrapping still include shocks, front/rear bumper, fuel sending unit, float, lspv in rear, bed mount kit, bushwacker flares, a bed he said he paid 550 for, new muffler, and the clutch is installed. the cab is (i believe) in perfect condition. frame has the usual rot behind cab. i bot the truck with the bed off so today i removed the tank, cut the brake lines from cab back basically to open the frame up to work on it, and took the lspv off the frame rail. every damn bolt was rusted. care less about bolts, cheapest fix there is. i plan on asking alot of questions here but not without searching first. this is gonna be my project thread, update it periodically and hope every one enjoys and puts forth usefull information. truck has 113,000 on it. i do just have a pickup?, right? i have a tach!...woowee..dont knwo if that means anything though. like i said, i have alot of reading to do. is there any point outs that tell. :confused: if im missing something i will indeed post it. thank you guys, sorry for the lengthy intro.

·
Registered
Lifted Toyota Pickup
37 Posts
yeah its a pickup but ehh i dont know man im not a big fan of those 3.0 v6's i know people with them and they have problems but there are some people who run them forever, but i love my 22re
where in pa are you from?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
the frame looks alot better now. i wire brushed alot of it and sprayed a rust doluter on it. it was dark by the time i was done. i really didnt even get to see it either. cut out the thin, weak metal and vacumed the inside of the frame out. i will be getting my dad to weld this which he is expeirenced welder. i am not going to jump on this and say i can do it so it looks like crap for u guys to jump all over..lol i am going to be cleaning and working on this frame for a while so whatever kind of undercoat or so i spray it with eventually, sticks. just wanted to get some pics up for you guys to get and idea of what im working with.

ps. remember to tell me your imput and suggestions. i am wide open for them.....thank you.....haha, and dont tell me to get another frame.

hessy, iv been reading some dont and some do....i guess i just have to see. ill tell you what though. this thing pures when running and i love the 4/4. this bad boy crawls before you even release the clutch(part exageration) clutch works.

·
Registered
Lifted Toyota Pickup
37 Posts
yeah my dads cousin has a 4runner with the 3.0 in it and has been running good for along time im just into the 22re's but another thing you should do is if the bottoms of your doors dont have any rot or if you fixed the rust get a can of tar and take your door panel off and roll your window up and brush tar in the bottom of the inside of your door in the seams and espically in the corners gob it up good in the corners and come up the door 3 or 4 inches with a thin coat, i have done this to all of my trucks when i get them and none of my doors ever rot out, and about the frame every year i go over my frame with black rustolem paint and wire brush any spots that are starting to get surface rust if any but usually not.

·
Supafly
1991 toyota pickup
4,401 Posts
Welcome to TN!

Looks good. Make sure you get all that bad metal out of there and consider spraying some oil in the frame rails after you're all done.

p.s there is no rear master cylinder, are you talking about the LSPV located on the rear section of the frame?

p.p.s Get a new frame ;) ;) :D :lol:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
p.s there is no rear master cylinder, are you talking about the LSPV located on the rear section of the frame?
yes. haha...i just called it that figuring everybody would know what i was talking about becuase i couldnt remember. what does that stand for? thank you

got it...load sensing prop valve

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
workin till 6 0r 7 every night stinks when your tryin to work on something around the house. took a rough template i made to a metal shop and the cut them out for me. brought them home tonight and shaped them to fit. working all weekend on it will have pics tomorow night of progress

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
worked on this all weekend. yesterday was nothing but welding. i drank to much first time in a long time last night and didnt get started untill about 11 today...was all grinding, wire wheel and paint. heres some improvement pics, hope you enjoy.

my first modification...my cousin had it and said he would give it to me. i had to take it

these are the old ones...pretty bad looking huh

here are the new ones that came with the truck, nothing special but better than what is on it now...haha

here is the left side before and after

right side before and after

here is rear view frame before and after

also welded this front cross member. it was in bad shape so we reinforced it a little

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
where u see that i cut the brake lines....i bought new lines and purchased compression fittings. i was gonna cut the lines right at the good(basically right behind the cab) and put compression fittings on. the guy at the auto store said hes not aloud to recommend it for safety reasons, which i understand. but do you guys think this will be fine. i really dont wanna run all new lines from there to the front...i am gonna run all new lines in the back though. from the T on the axle housing to the wheels.

also i wanna buy all new wheel housing and everything to brakes...where can i find this at?

anybody knwo a site thats sells diff kinds of those frame gromets and inserts that hold your gas/brake lines to your frame?

is there a microfiche for our truck online?

im also going to start refinishing the rear axle and diff housing tomorow like i did the frame...might as well do it now when i can get to it easy.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well NOBODY is posting responses, imput, or advice and that SUCKS..i like everybodies opinion. i tore both wheels off. both shocks. starting on the rear left side and took backing plate off with axle...took c clip off axle and ready to pull bearing. it does wiggle and needs to be replaced. taking leafas springs off to refinish the ends of the axle housings. tried taking u_bolt nuts off and cracked the socket...them buggers are on solid even with pb blaster. does anybody know where to get the all of the brake guts inside the hub and attached to the back plate. anywhere sell a whole kit for this..excluding back plate , hub, and shoes...thats easy to get. will get pics of most of this tomorow.

·
Supafly
1991 toyota pickup
4,401 Posts
Looking much better!

You should be able to get everything from the local parts stores. Most shoes come with most of the springs, then new wheel cylinders if needed.

Are you missing everything or something??

For frame grommets and brackets and such, you should cruise the auto parts stores in their little "help" sections. Should be able to find stuff that'l work just fine.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i have looked for those stinkin gromets and inserts everywhere....i can only find those metal retaining clips, like ones that hold the brake lines on the axle housing, on the internet....no plastic chassis inserts that hold 2 at a time....

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well.....i wasnt foolin with the springs no more. cut the upper shackle pin and rotated the outside spring shackle untill it broke the inner rust of the spring pin. burnt the majority out with the torch but there is still alot left in it

i then couldnt get the hanger pins out..i said screw this as well....i dont like spending an all day event on something this small...so .....i cut them as well

well...the yota is looking a little bare now....oh yeah,...well like i said, this is my first truck and first time working on one.....im learning so much about them already, including how easy the rear diff will come off once everything is disconnected holding it in place....had no idea this was gonna happen but went with it. hey, its gonna be alot easier cleaning it all and refinishing it now.

now i can start ordering parts and and reassembling everything once its finsihed....i just gotta know what to order.....

first thing is backing plates....mine are rusted out and those will be the first thing to replace

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
well, im getting new backing plates so i attempted the backyard mechanic's way of getting the wheel bearings out. slaming the axle on the ground. needless to say i didnt accomplish anything. i will be bringing those to a shop to let you know. i was smacking it with the studs out of the backing plate and eventually put them back in once i knocked the bearing case/housing, i cant remember what its called, loose.

i cant wait till this is all said and done with....it will be alot accomplished.
Refinished the axle housing today and it looks 20times better than b4.

got a scrap pile thats getting bigger by the day

my frusturating situation, what im stuck on

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks buddy. 2morow is parts ordering day...just tryin to find everything at best price and quality.

i need to find stock length aftermarket shackles...i cnat seem to find them...everything else im good on.

anywhere i can buy a complets brake set up....springs, shoes, clips, and brackets inside the drum?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well. i dont get much more excited than this.!!:clap:
just spent this weeks paycheck on th truck:eek:
the list kept growing after the guy on the phone told me FREE SHIPPING.

backing plates
drums
brake shoe set
hardware kit
wheel cylinders
bearings
retainers
2 front skyjacker hydro 7000
2 rear skyjacker hydro 7000

next week is the lift paycheck....aal and bj spacers. I NEED TO FIND STOCK LENGTH GREASABLE SHACKLES.......WHERE ARE YOU. HEEELP:yikes:

if i cant then im gonna go longer shackles and no aal....but i would think aal is much better and safer as well....right? thats why im leaning that way

1 - 20 of 59 Posts