Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Toyota Pickup
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93 pickup with 106,000 miles. I use the truck for plowing my driveway, driving around town, hunting, and a fishing trip or two. Good little truck. Unfortunately I am not much of a mechanic.
My rear main seal is leaking(I believe that's what it's called) and my friend is going to help me replace it. Fortunatley he can do about anything with a vehicle. While we are doing that job is there anything else we should do? He mentioned a clutch.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Unless the clutch is already new or near new I would also recommend replacing the clutch while you're their. Otherwise you might end up back under there in a few months doing the same thing.

Once the tranmission is removed the rear main seal is actually a pretty easy job.

·
Registered
397 Posts
ahaha.. i'm taking a break from a rear main right now..

sadly, it's on a 2000 4wd gmc jimmy.

But we replaced the tranny pump seal, front diff pinion seal, rear output shaft seal and rear main seal. Most of those were leaking, except for the pump seal, but oh well.

keep in mind that when you do the clutch you need to have the flywheel resurfaced(machined). and while you got the tranny out, why not change the fluid? i'll find you a link to some arguements on tranny fulid for the manuals.. give me a second

·
Supafly
1991 toyota pickup
4,401 Posts
I would suggest you do your clutch, replace it with a nice OEM style replacment. I would recoment the marlin crawler HD clutch. Its a 100% oem clutch only difference is marlin gets the manufacture to change the springs to increase the clamping force from 900ftlbs to 1200. ( they have stronger ones available too) I replaced my old one with this clutch, great unit. Feels like stock but has much more force.

I would also recoment you buy marlins shifter seat and bushing kit. It will GREATLY improve your shifter feel and performance. And the parts will FAR outlast the stock rubber ones that like to fall apart.

For fluid I would recomend either Redline mt-90 or (what I run) Amsoil GL4 synthetic manual transmission fluid. My tranny shifts way easier now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts