Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

My 93 5sfe (I think thats the right engine code; i mean the 2.2l I4) shift pretty rough into O/D. There is a notacible jolt when the car shifts from 3rd to 4th. Does anyone know what this could be or have a similar problem? Is it a relatively easy/cheep fix(my car has 162k miles on it and i'm not about to drop a lot into it)?

Thanx.

·
Dealer Tech..not Toyota
540 Posts
yah my 92 v6 does the same thing, mostly at low speeds and low rpm. like while driving through a neighborhood....just get used to when it shifts and drive accordingly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Axel Kain said:
yah my 92 v6 does the same thing, mostly at low speeds and low rpm. like while driving through a neighborhood....just get used to when it shifts and drive accordingly.
I've basically figured out every jolt and noise my car makes and how to avoid most of them, I was just wondering if there was an actual solution instead of just avoiding the problem. I don't know about your situation, but with mine it almost impossible to avoid completely. I figure constants jolt in the drivetrain can't really be good for longevity, so i was wondering if anyone actually had this problem and spent the time/money to fix it?

·
Dealer Tech..not Toyota
540 Posts
well, the tranny ive got is "new" and had 90K on it when i got it, im up prolly to 93-94K...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gott ya, well whatever my camry's been good to me for the last two and a half years so hopefully it'll keep it up. Something tells me it's not the actual tranny; more like the torque converter lock-up or may the engine rpms drop to low between that last shift. I remember when I first started driving me and my friends used to try and launch our cars (not the camry, i baby my car) from a stop light by reving them in neutral and then shifting into drive. Stupid idea I know, but the jolt from the drivetrain felt like an exaggerated version of what i get in my car. I don't know those are my guesses. I might be way off.

·
tC
2007 Scion tC
486 Posts
my 95 camry V6 does the same thing. its been doing this jerky shift thing going into overdrive for the last 30000 miles. since im cheap i have just tried to get used to it since it doesnt seem to be getting any worse. ive tried changing the ATF fluid with mobil 1 synthetic and adjusting the kick down cable but it doesnt help.

i think the bottom line is to deal with it until the trans explodes on its own or pay some serious $$$ to have the trans checked/rebuilt.

let us know what u decide.

·
Registered
1988 Corolla SR-5
3,042 Posts
Try lucas transmission tune up. It helped mine a little.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts