Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Toyota Pickup
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend worked on my 93 Pickup (4cyl. 22RE) today. He's a good mechanic and I'm not. I had an oil leak at the back of the engine-at first I thought it was the rear main seal but the oil was coming from higher up. (Recently I had the valve cover gasket replaced at the garage. It was shortly after that when I started seeing the oil.) My friend was stumped as to where it was coming from so he pulled the valve cover off to check that. He felt that the oil was coming from the rear rubber half circle gasket(?) under the valve cover. I know there must be a name for it but that's the best I can do. He put some sealant around both of them and put the cover back on. We let the truck idle for 15 minutes or so and saw no leak. I had a 30 mile trip home and when I parked it I saw some oil dripping down in the same spot.
We were relieved that it wasn't the main seal but not sure where to go from here. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Thanks

·
Registered
318 Posts
How tight are your valve cover bolts...did you ACTUALLY replace the valve cover gasket and the two rubber have circles or did you just put sealant on it? I would have just replaced it since it is only like $10.

·
Registered
1993 Toyota Pickup
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The mechanic at the garage had replaced the valve cover gasket earlier-a couple weeks ago- today we did not replace either gasket or the half circles. By that point it was too late to get to town to get new ones. He cleaned them up and used sealant.
Valve cover bolts-My friend tightened them so I can't say how tight they are. I know he did talk about how he needed to alternate tightening them and he did so slowly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts