Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gas leaking around front tank strap. I've read previous posts on this rather common problem. RUST. I'm looking for a video or instructions on dropping the tank for repair. It appears to be wet at top of tank connections,but very difficult to access. The T has difficulty cold starting. Is this a fire hazard? Maybe its looking like salvage time?

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
10,862 Posts
Repair may be tough due to the rust. There are replacement tanks available in the U.S for just over $300 but then you have shipping and Canadian rules. As far as removal some owners find it easier to lift the bed off to access the tank, Worth considering.
These might be in good shape.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Is it similar to Tacoma tank?
I have delved into some r&d on mine to remove, clean and recoat inaccessible area around there
Where in Canada? I am a short day's drive from the border midcountry

Reactions: sdspeed

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Repair may be tough due to the rust. There are replacement tanks available in the U.S for just over $300 but then you have shipping and Canadian rules. As far as removal some owners find it easier to lift the bed off to access the tank, Worth considering.
These might be in good shape.
Thanks Speed. I have not attempted the project yet. (I'm 73Yrs.old) . Lifting the box maybe to big of a job. I have some pic's & it appears the leak is around the pump connections. Could involve more parts than just the tank. A new tank would be the best way to go. The used tank from local salvage would be next. First I have to get the old one out & was looking for info. on that job.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it similar to Tacoma tank?
I have delved into some r&d on mine to remove, clean and recoat inaccessible area around there
Where in Canada? I am a short day's drive from the border midcountry
I'm on Vancouver Island B.C. I believe the tank is unique to our gen. T100. Border restrictions? First I have to remove old to see what's the repair look like?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Speed. I have not attempted the project yet. (I'm 73Yrs.old) . Lifting the box maybe to big of a job. I have some pic's & it appears the leak is around the pump connections. Could involve more parts than just the tank. A new tank would be the best way to go. The used tank from local salvage would be next. First I have to get the old one out & was looking for info. on that job.
I have a pic.of top . This web site has changed since I was last on it. Do I need to join photo bucket to post?

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
10,862 Posts
This thread will give you an idea. Plus I'd lift it high enough to slide a 2x6 , one up front and one in the rear across it and put saw horses or something similier on each side. Lift it just high enough to clear the tires and droll the truck off from under itor with 3 budies each grab an end and walk it back on to supports high enough where no-one has to be bending over. Without the tailgate they weight just under 300 lbs. so with some helpers it's not bad. Or a basic A frames and two straps joined at the center and lift with a simple come-along or chain fall.

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
10,862 Posts
I have a pic.of top . This web site has changed since I was last on it. Do I need to join photo bucket to post?
You can use the "Paperclip" or the icon of the "Framed Picture" in the row of icons at the bottom of the reply box to post or add a photo :cool:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What are we looking at?
Top of gas tank taken from Dr. side. You can see the darker stain where raw fuel has leaked. I have another pic. on pass. side dripping fuel on the frame, if you wish. Worked on freeing the 4 bolts &4 nuts-studs holding the box on the frame. Very rusty,WD40 & lots of grunt-success.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry, should have rotated pic. of Pass. side frame front gas tank strap dripping gas.

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
10,862 Posts
Yeah, that needs to be taken care of.
Ya gonna drop the tank vs. lifting the bed?
Any thoughts on how to fix the leaks or don't know enough yet?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, that needs to be taken care of.
Ya gonna drop the tank vs. lifting the bed?
Any thoughts on how to fix the leaks or don't know enough yet?
The box bolts are loosened now, so might attempt a front of bed lift to access top of tank where the leak appears to be located. I'm thinking its the connections or plate holding the fuel pump & lines? I'll keep you posted. Tank is 3/4 full. I'm hoping I won't need to drain it.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
The box bolts are loosened now, so might attempt a front of bed lift to access top of tank where the leak appears to be located. I'm thinking its the connections or plate holding the fuel pump & lines? I'll keep you posted. Tank is 3/4 full. I'm hoping I won't need to drain it.
Can you siphon most of that fuel out? They make small cheap hand pumps with tubes

Reactions: sdspeed

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
10,862 Posts
If you have to lower the tank vs. getting at it from the top, even a small amount that's 120 lbs of fuel.

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,754 Posts
This pump bracket has been "modified" as there should only be hard lines coming out of the bracket and not any soft hoses with clamps. I see 3 hose clamps and some sealer on the top of the bracket. I'm going to say that's the issue here. The soft line has probably gotten hard and cracked or the sealer isn't sealing any more and that's why yer leaking fuel from that hose connection. You will have to investigate what the previous owner modified besides this connector. I would recommend replacing the fuel pump bracket with a new one. Fuel pump bracket part number is 23206-65011. Gasket part number is 77169-14010. ;)

This ebay listing has the bracket, gasket, and new bolts. ;)

The top of the fuel pump bracket should look like this. ;)

Or the other option would be to find a better way to hooking up a high pressure fuel line to what's already been modified. I don't believe that the previous owner repaired this correctly with the hack job I'm seeing. ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Bam & Taco for the valuable info. I'm a slow mover on this job. I've organized helpers to help lift the box. It has a full 8" box liner. Tail gate removed. Hopefully, by the end of week I'll get the lights disconnected & do the removal & see what's involved.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts