Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all. I am brand new here.
I have been a Toyota enthusiast all my life, and my beloved 93 T100's engine went out 1.5 years ago at 190k miles[V6 3.0"slow"]. It`s still in great shape body/chassis wise and after looking around for a new truck I have decided to seriously consider engine replacement/rebuild.
Is this a good idea? What should I be wary of etc.?
Any opinions welcome. BTW, I think the 93 models were the first Toyota full sizes and may be classics one day.[?]

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,349 Posts
Do you still want to put the 3.slow in it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BamZipPow, that`s a great question. I am not wedded the 3.slow, but I did not know I had another option. Does that 93 tranny readily fit the 4cyl. or 3.4 or???
Head gaskets aside, I think it`s a great engine[3.slow] but I would be open to any other Toyota engine that would be reasonable$$ to put in it.
BTW, I am frequently in Galveston. I see you are nearby. Any ideas on where I might take it for the work?

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,349 Posts
Is yer truck a 2WD or 4WD?

The 2.7 wouldn't be a good choice...not much will transfer over. However..the 3.4 is a different and better story but a little more expensive. Not sure what you would consider reasonable $$$.

I have a 1993 T100 3.slow 2WD but it used to be a work truck so it's pretty beat up. Not bad fer a $1k truck... Not sure I'd do the swap...I'd be more apt to git another T100. :D

I know there is a company that sells a swap kit that is supposed to minimize the amount of work you need to do. Not sure but I think they will even do the swap fer yah...they might be in Colorado. I remember seeing some numbers that go into about $5k to $8k. If you do have the long bed 4WD, this might be a viable swap as V6 4WD long bed T100s are rare... ;)

Here's a few threads that about the swap. You will need things from both the donor truck and yer engine...

http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=379904&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1
http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=952779&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good info, thanks. It is 2wd.
I want to spend $2k-$3k max. That means 3.0 engine probably. I will look into putting the 2.7 in also. Maybe my price range is unrealistic. If so, I will abandon the idea.

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,349 Posts
I think the 2.7 only came with the manual transmission...not sure if it will bolt up to the truck's auto transmission or not... :( Also, the exhaust is on the passenger side vs the driver's side fer the 3.slow... ;)

Although, I hear it gits great gas mileage. Maybe a search is in order... :D

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,349 Posts
Since the 4cyl T100 didn't come with an auto transmission, you'd have to git that from a Tacoma 4cyl truck...and there's tons of those. Not sure how much you'd have to git from the Tacoma to the T100 to make that swap though... ;)

Also, the 1993 T100 didn't have any safety reinforcements in the door panels. The 1994 T100 got those... :D

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,349 Posts
My bad...guess there were a few T100 4cyl that came in an automatic...
Autotrader 1996 T100 fer $4500 link... :D

Another 1996 T100 4cyl auto fer $6000... :0
But you can tell it doesn't have things like a tach or other gauges. It was the basic truck. Not sure how much work it would take to put the DX/SR5 cluster in there with all the sensors... ;)

Also, it didn't have the other small things like the map light that the SR5 trucks got... :D

At least you know what options there are. The last year I ever found fer the long bed with a V6 was a 1996 SR5. But I think those are pretty rare...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BZPow, you're on it! Thanks for the links etc.
I have decided to go with a 3.slow again. Mine is a 5 speed, that is set up like an SR5 but not designated as such. I will be using it for short light hauls and a light duty farm truck. I am seriously considering keeping it for a long, long time. That 93 had some issues but it is a historically significant year and model and I want to keep it fairly near stock.
Anyone know of a good mechanic to set me up in the Houston/Dallas areas?

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,349 Posts
Anyone know of a good mechanic to set me up in the Houston/Dallas areas?
Personally...no. Haven't been here long enough to scout anything yet. What do you need to git done? ;):D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts