Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently picked up a 93 tercel dx. I paid 650 for it and thought I got a steal because I'm from up north and this thing has absolutely zero rust.
About a week after buying it I hear a terrible scraping and can feel something binding. I got it back to my shop and although I didnt remove the cover (due to time constraints) I can tell my differential self detonated.

Now...my original plan was to replace the A132l as a whole. But after doing some research, it seems the diff/tranny are separate units as far as fluid goes....? Which means I could possibly just rebuild gearsets and still be okay, which would be ideal...

I just need some more knowledge before I move ahead with anything. The last thing I want to do is replace diff gearsets but find out my tranny is full of metal from the diff.

Thanks for the help gents!

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
9,460 Posts
Very nice! I can see why ya snagged it. :cool:
Ya might consider a clean used one, there pretty reasonable and it might be both faster and easier.
Check car-part.com , yours is 5th Generation so decent selection of years.

·
Registered
1991 Corolla DX wi A240L 4-spd automatic
776 Posts
Am a newbie but this may help. On 6th Gen Corollas the 'hidden' differential fluid reservoir causes failures as well on the three-speed automatic. This guy below went in and replaced a bearing, I think? He did seem pretty mechanically-inclined, though. Also there were some other commenters on how they fixed theirs when their 3-speeds tanked, IIRC.

Regarding if the tranny itself is full of metal from the differential failure, maybe you could drain the ATF and run it through a pretty tight strainer, it might show you metal pieces in the fluid which the bigger they are, the scarier, I guess? Also check the sludge in the bottom of the pan.

·
Registered
1991 Corolla DX wi A240L 4-spd automatic
776 Posts
On that thread I posted, per comment #26 swegmike says that on the A131L at least, there's an seal intended to prevent leakage between the differential and the transmission. So if that seal on yours is still good, maybe not too much metal has entered the main tranny? Especially if you didn't drive it for very long after it 'went south.'

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I'm in the process of trying to find a replacement tranny. The 3 speeds just seem kinda difficult to track down. Are there any other vehicles that had them that would be more common? From what I found they were in the Tercels and in Corollas in the Euro market

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
9,460 Posts
Search for a Starlet too, not many out there but ya only need one.
car-part.com

1 - 7 of 7 Posts