Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this and I don't fix car myself. I would appreciate your suggestions.

I've a 93 Tercel, it's rust-free and looks great in and out. It has new front brake, new battery, new spark plugs, even new front bumper. The only problem is that only 3 out of 4 cylinders are firing properly, and hence I can't get the car emission tested and drive it legally.

What can I do with it? We bought it new and we have low mileage (only 165K) on it. Does it worth to fix it and then sell it? Where can I found people/shops that would buy my car "as-is" and give me good money for it? I would hate to see my Tercel to go to a wreck shop.

Thanks.

Belinda
Ottawa, Canada

·
No BS ECTO/BYP Advocate!
99 Posts
You could ebay it. Plenty of aspiring Tercel tuners could give your car a good home if you decide to sell it. Check with Wedge, tdottercel an a few others here who are in your area that might know of some shops that do engine swaps their or can do a swap if you had an engine and get one that drops in from back yard productions.

DOTMREP

·
Registered
124 Posts
Have you determined what happened to the other cylinder? Something as simple as a bad spark plug wire could be at fault here. When you say its dead....my question is what part is dead; dropped or floated valve or spring? any spark to the plug? is the injector injecting fuel like it should?(dead or shorted injector) plug wire? Cylinders just dont die with age like we do, something has to be at fault; fuel, air and ignition are all needed to create combustion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We went to three garages, two couldn't find out what's exactly wrong although one suspected the injector is not injecting fuel properly. The third one told us that the engine is clogged and would take at least CAN$2000 to fix/clean.

If the third garage is correct, is there any cheaper way to clear the clog?

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
238 Posts
it doesnt get clogged like tht. its might just be an injector that needs to be changed. if thts the case even you could do it. it really easy. and can be done in 30 min.

check this stuff.

1) spark-i.e. sparkplugs(check and make sure that there is a gap between the electrod and the tip of the plug), sparkplug wires(may have a tear in the insulation), distributor cap(routine maintenance, if the 4 terminals on the inside are really corroded,then change. sometimes can be fixed temporarily by scraping crusty grime off with sandpaper), and the ignition coil(autozone can test this for free. have them test the primary and then the secondary)

2)if you can start the engine, take off the radiator cap(while the engine is cold) then start it up. rev it a bit. as you rev it, if collant/water starts to shoot up out oif the radiator the you more than likely have a blown headgasket on one of the water/coolant passages that run through the engines head.

3) fuel- injector(may be clogged. take it out and go to a toyota dealer or an HONEST! mechanic and have them clean out tht one plug so you can save money. call them first before you take it out)

4) if your oil looks like a diahrea color or whitiish grey, then you have oil and water mixing. which more than likely is a blown headgasket.

·
Registered
238 Posts
also have a compression test done on the cylinder that is not working. go to a local junior college and talk the head of the automotive dept, and they will be more than happy to help you. and may be able to point you in the right direction. worst comes to worst you can change to a much more powerful engine-5efhe for 450$-600$. and its compatible with all of your stuff.

you can go thru these guys in quebec, but i don't know their quality, and if theyre shady they can make it look like a 5efhe engine on the outside but internally its not the same.going this route may help you in shipping prices.

heres the link
http://board.tercelonline.com/viewthread.php?tid=14060

or you could go thru Back yard productions. i got my motor from them and they have been nothing but helpful. and if i was stuck. i was told what i needed to do. they're the ones that sell the engine for 450$.

as a rookie who is somewhat knowledgeable the swap can be done in 1-2days. I did mine in about 12 hrs, but thts because i did my research(use the search link at the top of this and other pages) to find out what i needed b4 hand, and what i may want to replace if the engine and tranny are taken apart. If you get stuck then just ask. but make sure you do your research and excecute all options before you start asking everyone what to do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much for your advice.

Where is 'Back Yard Productions'? I found one by searching the web, but unsure whether that's the one. Do they just sell engine or do they do both sellilng and installation? I'm in Ottawa, Canada.

thx.

·
Toy-Cel
618 Posts
BYP is in florida

if your looking for JDM engines there a couple good places in canada, i know there is one in montreal, seeing as your in Ottawa, you could probably arrange a pick-up, and save a ton on shipping....

Ill try to find links, hang on............

·
Registered
238 Posts
also forgot to say...look at the valve train. take the valve cover off and check the cylinder thts not working. see if all the valve stuff is fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks so much for all the info. My husband and I are really not the type that can check and fix car ourselves.

Our 93 Tercel is worth US$1795 based on the Kelly's Blue book (low mileage, rust-free, single owner, etc.). I wonder if anyone of you experienced Tercel turners out there would be interested to take over my car and fix it so you can have a good car. Our Tercel was checked by three garages including Toyota as well as a trusted independent mechanics. They both say all parts of the car checked out fine, and the car should still last for a few years. Based on successive elimination, Toyota suspected the engine is clogged.

My asking price is $499 and I think that is reasonable. So even in the event that the car DOES need an engine swap, you still spend less than $1000 to get a $1800 vehicle. If it is actually a smaller problem, it will even be more favorable to you.

You can email me directly at [email protected]. I'm in Ottawa, Canada. If you know of any Tercel turners in my neighboring cities that would be interested, please refer them. Thanks so much again.

Belinda

1 - 11 of 11 Posts