Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 4runner sr5,
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if anyone has advice. I have a sr5 v6 94 4runner, auto, and there is coolant in the engine. so yota says replace the engine, and my mechanic can do it all for 2500 cdn, but put a v6 w/ 200 k into the truck. what should I look for in a used engine to be sure Im not gonna be right back where I am right now in a month or two? Any advice would help.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
If your 4runner is in nice condition, a much better option is a 3.4L 5VZ-FE swap. The 5vz has more power, gets better gas mileage, and is far more reliable than the 3vze. It bolts up to your current transmission and uses the existing engine mounts. There is an issue with oil pan clearance which can be solved by a 2" body lift or (I think) by using your 3vze oil pan.

From the donor truck you'll need - in addition to the engine - the computer, wiring harness and all sensors. Aside from installing another 3.0, the 3.4 swap is probably the easiest of all the options, but it's still a lot of work.

For one of the best sources of info, see the 3.4L swap forum on yotatech:
http://www.yotatech.com/f160/

·
Registered
180 Posts
If your 4runner is in nice condition, a much better option is a 3.4L 5VZ-FE swap. The 5vz has more power, gets better gas mileage, and is far more reliable than the 3vze. It bolts up to your current transmission and uses the existing engine mounts. There is an issue with oil pan clearance which can be solved by a 2" body lift or (I think) by using your 3vze oil pan.

From the donor truck you'll need - in addition to the engine - the computer, wiring harness and all sensors. Aside from installing another 3.0, the 3.4 swap is probably the easiest of all the options, but it's still a lot of work.

For one of the best sources of info, see the 3.4L swap forum on yotatech:
http://www.yotatech.com/f160/

The 3.4 would be worth the extra cost. Very reliable...

·
Registered
56 Posts
That's 125K miles for a lot of $. I'd want to see evidence of head gasket being done on it for sure. What's cost for a quality Jasper rebuilt long block? It would be zero miles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts