Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to sort out a odd problem im having. Need to know what the output power of a 94 1.8L alternator is .. I think its 60amps but correct me if im wrong

·
Registered
7 Posts
just from checking autozone online the replacements are 80amps so i'm willing to wager that it oe spec
hope that helps

·
Registered
174 Posts
You timing is perfect.....

I just had mine checked and it read 49.7, the haynes manual says anything over 30 amps is good, but now you guys have me wondering since my alternator is original at 164k.

·
N/A bites
Paseo
5,859 Posts
The sticker that Nippon Denso puts on the alternators from the factory rates them at 70amps. A factory 70a rated ND will put out around 90amps. The aftermarkey manual is wrong, 30 amps will run the ignition and a cooling fan, but touching the brakes will cause more draw than 30 amps if the cooling fan is running. The headlight/parking light systyem should draw 20amps alone.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanks Tercel GTS, that is twice the Haynes manual screwed me lately! Unfortunately there is nothing better. The Haynes manual told me to open the engine drain plug to drain the water after a coolant flush, the damn thing seized up and wouldn't close, but luckily it isn't leaking. Later a mechanic told me never to open the engine drain plug on an old car as it will seize, yeah no kidding!

I am going to a different auto parts store to get a retest of the alternator and then if bad I will buy a new one. That is the only I haven't replaced yet, of the parts that normally go out on any car.

·
Registered
174 Posts
After reading the autozone website, it says that with your heater on high and your high beam lights on you should get a reading of over 30 amps, maybe I just read the haynes manual too fast, lol!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts