Toyota Nation Forum banner

94 Camry 5SFE Oil Seal / Timing?

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  fltwd56 
#1 ·
I had to do the oil pump seals on my 94.

Took everything apart and seemingly put it back together.
At first car seemed "fast" but I ran it with belts disconnected so I pulled the battery cable to reset the ECU.

Everything seemed to go back to normal.

The problem I'm having is that now the car overheats to 3/4 after sitting for a while. Only one of the fans, fan2 comes on. I thought it could be the coolant temp sensor but I replaced that last fall, also get 14V reading off of it. When the sensor was failed neither of the fans would come on. I'm going to rig the fan to the battery and see if it spins tomorrow to eliminate motor failure.

Could I have advanced the timing by a tiny amount causing this? Could the coolant temp sensor have failed again so soon? Any ideas?

#4 ·
Same problem (fan 1 not running, car heating to 3/4 up the gauge) on the wife's 95. Turned out to be a blown motor in the cooling fan. Most likely you just need a new fan.

Reactions: Noblunts
#7 ·
Your timing wouldn't cause the fan to not come on. Check the fan relays. Also the thermo fan switch. If all is as it should be start tracing wiring. You may have a broken wire.

#8 ·
There is continuity between the box with the relays and the fan connector. The 40A fuse isn't dead. When you pull the sensor there is 14v on some of the relay legs. The other fan spins. When I swapped the relays the other fan continues to work. Fan2 has an extra leg on the relay though but voltage is being passed and fan connector is not shorted together.

#10 ·
Depending on what part of the country hell is in, it could be very hot already and sounds so from the description! Temps here have been between 85-95 degree's pretty consistently within the last 3 weeks or so. Plus anytime the AC is engaged the fans will run whether it's winter or summer, at least that's how I understand it. Glad you found the problem and that it was an easy fix.

Jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.