Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok my 1994 camry is acting up. It is a V6 automatic. It keeps holding first gear way too long and is shifting very late. For instance, normally it would shift out of first around 2-3k rpms when i push down on the pedal a normal amount. if i push the pedal down halfway, it wont shift until around 6k rpms and even if i just barely push the gas pedal, it wont shift until at least 4k rpms. anyone know what's wrong with my baby? my guess is software somehwo got messed up or my tranny is shot. i really dont know cars too well so i was hoping someone would know what's wrong. thanks

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
your power/ect button is on ECt, and your overdrive button (OD) is on off right?

Seems odd...

Edit: you are driving on D4 or D (whatever you gen came with) and NOT on 2 or L. right?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jhbhatia said:
your power/ect button is on ECt, and your overdrive button (OD) is on off right?

Seems odd...

Edit: you are driving on D4 or D (whatever you gen came with) and NOT on 2 or L. right?
yeah, power/overdrive is both off. it is the standard automatic. i believe it's a 4 speed. not sure on that though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Silver Streak said:
Hmmm, reset your ECU by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes, or remove the EFI fuse. Your car will relearn your driving habits, maybe that'll cure it?
i can just disconnect one battery lead for that right? where is the EFI fuse located?

either way, i'll try it. anyone else have anything i can try before i go to the dealer with this?

·
NINJ4
69 Posts
if my overdrive is off and i gas it relatively hard it will go up to 4-5 in 1st..but when i turn it back on it changes at normal 2-3

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
friend of mine had the same problem, then his transmission went out...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Stevethecleric said:
friend of mine had the same problem, then his transmission went out...
that's what i'm thinking the problem is too. how much will it run me to get this replaced?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Silver Streak said:
How often do you change the tranny fluid, just curious? My friend's car had similar symptoms, he basically had no tranny fluid whatsoever...but then again, it was a Buick....
um, that's included in a major tune up right? i havent had one for atleast 30,000k+ miles. where can i check it?

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
eklmu said:
um, that's included in a major tune up right? i havent had one for atleast 30,000k+ miles. where can i check it?
Does your camry have a dip stick for tranny fluid? Not all major tune ups include tranny flush (sometimes tranny drain and fill). Since this is a 1994, i'm assuming its never been FLUSHED before. I'd recommend that over drain & fill.

PS: i did drain & fill on my 30K service, but i plan on doing the flush on my 60K service.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jhbhatia said:
Does your camry have a dip stick for tranny fluid? Not all major tune ups include tranny flush (sometimes tranny drain and fill). Since this is a 1994, i'm assuming its never been FLUSHED before. I'd recommend that over drain & fill.

PS: i did drain & fill on my 30K service, but i plan on doing the flush on my 60K service.
yeah it's got a dipstick. i'm going to give the dealer a call tonight and see what's up. hopefully this isn't going to cost me more to fix than the value of the whole car itself.

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
eklmu said:
yeah it's got a dipstick. i'm going to give the dealer a call tonight and see what's up. hopefully this isn't going to cost me more to fix than the value of the whole car itself.
dealership prices are always WAY off (cus of their labor). if you got a dip stick for tranny (not to be confused with dip stick for motor-oil) then do a check yourself. See if there is fluid and see if its red.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My 1993 V6 Auto shift at 3-4k when the temperature of engine is very low ... A temperature detector broken ?!

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
okay, not trying to be funny but similar. I started the car and drove off and felt like brakes were dragging and trannie shifted a little late. I was in a panic because i was about 150 miles from home. I checked tires weren't flat and was scratching my head. then it came to me...i had the a/c on. Turned it off and everything was normal. Seldom use it but it was like 90 something today and fighting traffic in Seattle had me beat.

So it may be engine performance keeping it down. Hope you find the cure

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
hummm try cleaning your tb .... also make sure you clean the fast idel (not sure what it called in these crazy EFI cars ..... but you know what keeps it ideling high when it's cold) that might be stuck open and letting a little more air in kinda like having the a/c fast idle works. if your wondering how to do this you have to remove the air cleaner hose and just spray a can or so of carb cleaning in it ... engine off (dont see how it can run) that and if you have a repair manual check the tps to make sure it's sitting right might be sitting off a little and there might be a cable from the throal to the tranny (not sure on those cars) to let it know how to shift ... that might need adjusting

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok people. you guys need to give me more credit. i know its not the a/c or if its from engine temp.

like today i was cruising around 20mph and decided to floor it. the car downshifted to a lower gear and just reved up to around 6000 rmp but didnt move anywhere. i have a feeling my tranny is shot. i really cant think of anything else that could cause this.

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
According to Toyota God book;

Delayed 1-2,2-3 or 3 - od

could be electronic control faulty, valve body faulty or solenoid valve faulty or transaxle.

bada bing

1 - 20 of 31 Posts