Toyota Nation Forum banner

94 Camry LE/4-cylinder/Low RPMs at startup

2059 Views 4 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  88 LE
When i startup my car the RPMs are real low, around 300-500 for about 10 seconds or so. It sounds like the engine is struggling. Then it kind of kicks in and shoots up to about 1200-1500 for a second (like a normal start), then settles down at normal idle RPM of around 900. This happens about 80% of the time i start the car. The other 20% being normal starts with no problem. Very rarely it will take me a few tries to get the car started at all; most of the time the start goes as stated above.

I am wondering if anyone has an idea what this could be??

I was told at my last oil change that i need a new alternator belt, so i am wondering if maybe that has any correlation to this problem. I have had many problems with my battery cables as well, which i thought had been solved. A lot of electrical issues it seems. I am no expert by any means, so I am trying to give as much info as I can. Let me know if more is needed.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
sounds to me like the engine choke is "choking" the engine, then again i dont even know if these engines have a choke..... well you can always spend a day checking the vacuum system on the car might be a loose hose or bad valve ... of course this is all persuming that you checked the air filter :rolleyes: ..... but then again i cant fix the check light on my car
my dad did this when my RPM on a morning start up was at 1500 he told me to lower it to 1200. He poped open the hood and near that circle thing where you and move to make the engine rev. he adjusted the bolt on the bottom of that but instead of lowering it, its at 1750's. So i guess thats what your aiming to do. And normal idle is 900.

what is normal start up RPM?
Do a search related to the AIC (air intake control valve). You might get some useful info related to your problem. Good luck
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.