Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Who nolonger has a van
94 Camry LE
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ABS light has come on/off intermittently in my parent's Camry for over a year. We never had issues until the other day when it engaged while gradually braking at low speeds on dry pavement. I decided to check the codes and found that there are/were open circuits in both rear speed sensor circuits (38 = Right & 39 = Left).

Now I'm stuck. I'm not the brake guy in the family (my bro is, but he is out of state). What does this mean? Is an electrical or hydrolic circuit open? Any suggestions where to go from here? What may be wrong/causing this?

Thanks you for your time!

·
O-Dark-30
93 Camry Le
409 Posts
hmm

Sounds like both rear speed sensors are not sending signal full-time. You probably got lucky and just need to pull the sensors and clean them of any ferrous metals that are clinging to the sensor pick-up. While you have them out make sure that the wire connections are not corroded. Of course this may not be the case since your ABS engaged under light braking on dry pavement. Could have been a fluke. Maybe not.

·
Who nolonger has a van
94 Camry LE
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you for the input. I found some tests to run for wheel speed sensor specific codes. I'm going to perform these tonight when fewer people are on the road & report my findings back here. If they are inconclusive, I'll be able to take stuff apart tomorrow morning when I have more light.

*EDIT*
Add code 34 (Left rear speed sensor signal malfunction) to the list... Wheels will be coming off tomorrow. Don't really want to remove the back seat though...

·
O-Dark-30
93 Camry Le
409 Posts
hmm

Not sure which diagnostic tool you are using to pull codes. Does your have a data display as well as a code puller? Meaning if you have it plugged in and take the car up the road there might be data for the speed of each wheel like my Solus has. Or is it just a palm reader?

·
My other car is a Camry
Camry
2,318 Posts
I have the same problem with my ABS... ABS came on intermittently and the anti-lock engaged under light braking on dry pavement. It has been going on for a while now, but I keep forgetting about it because it happens a few times a week.

Please keep me updated on your problem :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts