Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friend has a 94 Camry that starts with starter fluid sprayed into the intake. Changed fuel pump and fuel pump relay to no avail. Turns out the car periodically also doesn't crank (generally cranks strong with no start)

Could this be ignition switch or crank sensor?

What you all think?

·
Super Moderator
12,871 Posts
V6 or I4 motor? In ‘94, the V6 has a crank position sensor, I4 doesn’t. The I4 gets crank position from some pickups in the base of the distributor.

·
Registered
257 Posts
If its a 4 banger, my guess is dizzy, a common failure point in these cars at this age. I've had the same/similar symptoms twice now in our I4 '94, it was the dizzy both times. First was the original dizzy, second was a new aftermarket one. You take your chances with either a used OE one from a breaker or a new aftermarket one. Pray that its not the iggy switch as in this Gen they are a ton of work to pull, AIRC you would have to pull the steering column to swap them.

FWIW, the fuel pump only pumps when cranking the engine and generally you can't hear the fuel pump while cranking the engine.

·
'93 LE Wagon V6 '94 LE I4
'93 V6 wagon, '94 I4
795 Posts
Friend has a 94 Camry that starts with starter fluid sprayed into the intake. Changed fuel pump and fuel pump relay to no avail. Turns out the car periodically also doesn't crank (generally cranks strong with no start)

Could this be ignition switch or crank sensor?

What you all think?
When it starts with starting fluid, does it then stay running?
If not, check the fuse for the fuel injectors.

When it doesn't crank, you turn the key and then nothing?
This may be coincidental to the no start issue. Possible the starter solenoid contacts require replacement, a common issue with these cars.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah it's a 4 cylinder.

it would start and immediately die with starting fluid.

The few times it didn't crank, nothing at all would happen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had considered distributor failure or timing belt failure, but decided against it since the car briefly starts with starting fluid

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
4,415 Posts
What you don't know is are the injectors squirting, assuming fuel pressure is good. I'd borrow a fuel pressure tester from parts store to make sure pressure is there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
she ended up going to a shop. There has been a bad connection at ground that was sparking at the battery and I added a new terminal, but apparently the fuel injection harness shorted and the injectors were stuck open and are now bad.

I was not going to be able to diagnose that. I can replace some parts, but am barely learning how to use a volt meter.

thanks for your help though, fuel injectors was def barking up the correct alley

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks for the update. Sooooo many people start threads on problems with their vehicles, but never update on what happened, again, thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts