Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to here, and I just wanted to ask a few questions.

I mainly just want to know some cheap, effective ways to tune up my car's performance. Make it run a little better, take off a little faster, things like that.

Also, my transmission seems to have a little problem. When the engine is cold, the transmission stays a high until the engine warms up, before it actually kicks back down. Any tips on how to fix this as well?

Thanks.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Hi, I'm new to here, and I just wanted to ask a few questions.

I mainly just want to know some cheap, effective ways to tune up my car's performance. Make it run a little better, take off a little faster, things like that.

Also, my transmission seems to have a little problem. When the engine is cold, the transmission stays a high until the engine warms up, before it actually kicks back down. Any tips on how to fix this as well?

Thanks.
This is normal and there is nothing cheap to improve performance.

Anyways, welcome to TN.

·
I HAS BOOST!!!
94 Camry SE V6 Coup
10,728 Posts
1. :welcome:

2. start with the stickies in this section and the general camry discussion section. they will contain most of the modding anwsers your lookin for, or at least enough to point ya in the right direction. you need to be more specific with your questions, things like what motor, what are your power goals, whats the millage, whats the condition.

3. thats normal for the tranny

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is the B2200 4 cylinder engine, with 233,000 kilometers on it. The car is in excellent condition for the age.

I'm not sure what my goals are.. just general tune DIY tune ups to keep everything running the way it should, and help the car last as long as possible.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Definitely check the Stickies but here's a few things that are a must:

Full Tune-up: Replace the following:
Air Filter, Spark plugs, spark wires and distributor, PCV Valve, maybe fuel filter (i forget if its in the engine bay...), Oil change, and Oil filter. You could also flush your transmission fluid.

If it's an automatic, you should consider using Lucas Transmission Fluid Additive with your transmission fluid. Also. using Seafoam with your gas is always a plus. If you have time and wide open space, consider using Seafoam through the brake booster vacuum hose.

Also, adding an inexpensive Ground Wire Kit is always a good idea. And occasionally keep your tire pressures in check.

All that is pretty much basic car care. I think I've mentioned it all. Other than that, don't drive your Camry like a maniac or like those guys that just got out of the new Fast and Furious movie. -_-;

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Lol, another 4 bangers. I suggest u wait long enough for the engine to die, then swap in something bigger before thinking about performance.

·
1994 5S-FYOU!
1994 Toyota Camry
1,602 Posts
You can get a muffler, it'll make you sound faster.
Make your own intake.

Tune everything up.

Complete fluid flush as mentioned (seafoam brake booster, TB, and gas).

Advance the timing a few degrees.

Get cams with better lift/duration.

Tune the fuel and air.

If you're a badass get a straight pipe from your cat to replace your exhaust. If you're just cool like me, loosen your cat converter a bit to get the right sound and a little less restriction, and if you're an average joe shmoe grab a egay muffler and weld it on.

Just some thoughts :thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts