Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
94 Camry acting up with transmission problems. But before this all happened, I was getting a trouble code for "shift lock solenoid" (can't remember which trouble code number it was, anyone?). Anyhow, fast-forwarding to now, the car is driving like hud with respect to the transmission not downshifting or up-shifting when it should. It just kind of sits there accelerating very slowly and then all of a sudden on it's own ambition decides to shit to the next gear. It;'s very sluggish as a result of this. Engine is great, has plenty of power -- this is all related to transmission issues.

Does anyone have a guess at what this could be? How can I get my A/T diagnostic system to flash an actual number sequence at me instead of just the constant blinking? Anyone?

Anyone ever had issues with Shift Lock Solenoid and could this cause the symptoms/issues I am experiencing? What is the solution? Thanks guys.

·
11,514 Posts
If you have a faulty solenoid(s), the ECU will use the still functioning one(s) to shift the tranny. That could cause slugglish performance.

·
抵抗しても無駄だ
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,091 Posts
try connecting the obd2 scanner (autozone does it for free), it will give you code for tranny as well, transmission codes are covered in obd/obd2 standard. there is a good chance that your '94 was built to meet (some maybe not all) obd2 '96 specs already, common on 94-95 toyotas.

if your car is not compatible with obd2 then you need to jumper 2 terminals in diagnostics socket to read the CEL blinking codes at you:
http://www.troublecodes.net/Toyota/

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
try connecting the obd2 scanner (autozone does it for free), it will give you code for tranny as well, transmission codes are covered in obd/obd2 standard. there is a good chance that your '94 was built to meet (some maybe not all) obd2 '96 specs already, common on 94-95 toyotas.

if your car is not compatible with obd2 then you need to jumper 2 terminals in diagnostics socket to read the CEL blinking codes at you:
http://www.troublecodes.net/Toyota/
This car is not OBD II, it's the round Toyota Proprietary plug so Autozone can't do anything for me unfortunately. Just have to count the blinks and then look them up. Problem is... damn O/D light once it starts blinking it never stops. Crap! But I am getting a code 71 which is EGR -- but I just cleaned that guy two months ago and the tube of tons of gunk and sludge. So now perhaps the code 71 is referring to the EGR temp sensor.

So what I really need help with though is the transmission issue and pulling the correct code. How can I get it to blink a coherent number to me instead of just blinking ad-infinitum? Anyone? And yes, the car does want to drive around in 3rd gear all the time.

·
抵抗しても無駄だ
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,091 Posts
in the thread AliRazor linked, the guy had similar issue and i think once he jumpered TE1-E1 both CEL and O/D off started flashing codes. not sure which connector he was jumpering, but i think you have just 1 under steering column, the round one, yes ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
in the thread AliRazor linked, the guy had similar issue and i think once he jumpered TE1-E1 both CEL and O/D off started flashing codes. not sure which connector he was jumpering, but i think you have just 1 under steering column, the round one, yes ?

So let me just be a little more clear, I have already jumpered the diagnostic port to get the car to repeat codes through a series of flashes, both the check engine like, for engine trouble codes, and the transmission via blinking of the O/D light. This has proven to be fruitless as the O/D will only blink back a continuous loop of blinking and not a sequence of controlled number sequences as it was designed to. Wondering if the manual has something to say about the continuous blinking and what it means. Anyone?

·
抵抗しても無駄だ
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,091 Posts
yeah, steady blinking is no codes present.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts