Super Moderator
13,141 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,141 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,141 Posts
The wheels can only rotate in opposite directions, but not in the same direction. If one of the two is on the ground, the one up in the air can't rotate.

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
4,494 Posts
The wheels can only rotate in opposite directions, but not in the same direction. If one of the two is on the ground, the one up in the air can't rotate.
Then the OP would have to jack one wheel at a time and see he can rotate the jacked wheel to test if no forward/reverse could be outside the trans.

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
4,494 Posts
So that means something internal to the tranny then....
There is still the issue of the speedo operating. I suggested earlier jacking one wheel at a time and trying to turn the lifted wheel while the opposite wheel was on the ground (gear in park). I think you want to totally eliminate a busted CV axle before messing with the transmission.

·
Registered
94 Camry LE
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
When I was testing in park I had a guy hold the opposite wheel and they wouldn't spin, so I guess it's bad news. I'll update y'all on what it was once it's fixed.

Appreciate all the help

·
Super Moderator
13,141 Posts
When I was testing in park I had a guy hold the opposite wheel and they wouldn't spin, so I guess it's bad news.
No, that’s how it should behave. This test just means the diff is OK, and the parking pawl is too. I suspect the problem is further up the chain; bad pump, bad torque converter, something like that.

·
Registered
94 Camry LE
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Update. Decided to start her up today and see if anything had changed with the warmer weather. Put it in gear and it took right off. Working completely fine. Took a lap around the lake and shifts normal and doesnt slip. Fluid isnt milky but I'm wondering if it had moisture in it that froze something up? Gonna do a drain and refill on it tomorrow.

·
Registered
Look in sig
8,808 Posts
Update. Decided to start her up today and see if anything had changed with the warmer weather. Put it in gear and it took right off. Working completely fine. Took a lap around the lake and shifts normal and doesnt slip. Fluid isnt milky but I'm wondering if it had moisture in it that froze something up? Gonna do a drain and refill on it tomorrow.
Your car is strange.

Well this rules out CV axle issue, right? I never heard of ATF freezing up though. If it's working in warmer weather, I'm thinking it's fluid restriction or something to that sort when it is cold.

·
Registered
94 Camry LE
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Yeah no chance it's a CV. What gets me is I had been driving in even colder weather vs when it stopped moving.

·
Registered
94 Camry LE
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
New update, things had been working great since I last posted until this morning. Had driven about 250 miles since the first ordeal. On the way to work and I lost drive again, felt like it went into neutral. Coasted to a safe place and got it towed home. also noticed the odometer even moves when it's in gear/registering speed but not moving. Anyone got any ideas now or am I shopbound?

·
Registered
4 Posts
New update, things had been working great since I last posted until this morning. Had driven about 250 miles since the first ordeal. On the way to work and I lost drive again, felt like it went into neutral. Coasted to a safe place and got it towed home. also noticed the odometer even moves when it's in gear/registering speed but not moving. Anyone got any ideas now or am I shopbound?

21 - 40 of 49 Posts