Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had trouble starting car a few days ago, would start after a few turns of the key then wouldn't start at all. Had to jump a few times. Changed battery terminals, started right away without jump, then the next day wouldn't start in the morning.

Replaced old battery with new one, car still will not start. I turn key and get a click.

What could be the problem and how can I troubleshoot to find out?

I have searched threads and found similiar scenarios, figure I might as well throw it out there to be somewhat specific to my problem.

·
Registered
09 Camry SE V6
1,574 Posts
is it cold over there? like how is the climate when u try to start the car

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
If you are hearing 1 click, you have a problem with the starter itself. (Multiple rapid clicks generally mean a problem with the battery or charging system.) You probably have worn starter solenoid contacts. You can varify this problem with the help of a second person. Have the other person hold the key in the start position while you go under the hood and tap the starter with a hammer or a wrench. Give it a good tap, but don't try to break it. If the starter now turns, you have varified the starter contact problem. This has been covered many times. Do a search for "starter contacts". Here's an article on how to replace them yourself:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=166530

Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts