Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 1994 Toyota Corolla. It is an automatic, if that matters.

Occassionally it won't start. Usually starts normally. I'm not the main driver, but I'm told that when you put the key in and turn it the warning lights come on (as they should to check the bulbs), but then when you turn it all the way to start it, there is nothing. I don't think there is even a clicking, though I'm not sure.

This happens both when the car and engine are cold and when they are hot.

Eventually the car will start again if you just keep trying to start it, usually within a few to several tries (without even shutting the car off, just keep turning the key all the way to that momentary start position).

A relative had this same problem with her 1995 Corolla, but ended up selling it before it was fixed. So I'm thinking this might be some sort of typical issue.

Has anyone had this problem? Can you tell me what needs doing or checking?

·
Guitars and Cars
2001 Corolla S
3,350 Posts
Sounds like the Starter is going or some relay or wire is shorting out. Search the tech forum for other threads about this.
I will move this to tech for you...

-Chris

·
Gonzo Journalist
72 Posts
exactly, starter contacts are worn out. cheap fix if you can get the starter out of there yourself and put it back in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the answers.

Is the starter hard to replace in this year of Corolla? I've replaced them in a first generation 300zx and a 280zx without much problem. I guess I'm asking if there is a bunch of stuff in the way that must first be undone, or if it is some awkward position, etc.

Thanks!

·
Grenaded piston
6,606 Posts
^ Not sure about a 94, but on a 95 w/4A-FE (1.6L) the starter is on the backside of the engine.

Its a bitch to get to. I removed one of the bolts from the top of the car (you'll have to look for it). And the other bolt from the bottom of the car.

Then you gotta get it out somehow, which is also a bitch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts