Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, this car does not register being in D on the cluster, and pressing the brake pedal registers as being in R, also there are no Reverse lights when ACTUALLY in reverse...I figure some plug just got plugged in wrong and mixed these up, so I looked through my Haynes FSM, but didn't see anything in the back electrical diagrams about reverse lights at all... :(

Any ideas? lol...

·
Banned
Car
417 Posts
so, this car does not register being in D on the cluster, and pressing the brake pedal registers as being in R, also there are no Reverse lights when ACTUALLY in reverse...I figure some plug just got plugged in wrong and mixed these up, so I looked through my Haynes FSM, but didn't see anything in the back electrical diagrams about reverse lights at all... :(

Any ideas? lol...
check the wire harness on transmission body, near the dipstick pipe

connect terminal 2 to 8 by paper clip or piece of wire, the reverse lights should become on

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
The D light bulb is probaby burned out. Have fun replacing it!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will check, but Chris, I understand that is one possibility, as well as reverse simply being out as well (I have a rear light out warning, but my top rear brake light is out too...) but that still does not explain why pressing on the brakes registers as going into reverse on the cluster...? and I kinda have a feeling/hope this is all one connected problem and something just got plugged up wrong or mixed up or something (hopefully!)

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Check the loom of wires inside the trunk by the driver's side trunk hinge. Open up the loom and chances are you will find frayed or broken wires in there. Fix what you find. Those wires fray and break from all the flexing they go through, as the trunk is constantly opened and closed over the years. If they just have the insulation frayed off a couple may be touching each other giving you the symptoms you are experiencing. If that's the case, a bit of electrical tape will fix your problem.

Mike

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, I just looked real quickly at overall wires, and I need to replace a lot asap...:facepalm: I have exposed ground wires, as well as other wires that are splitting open, etc.

ATM, the car is still my gf's, and she doesn't want me to do too much, so I will have to wait until it is mine and I am replacing LOTS!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts