Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Languishing in Virginia
1994 XtraCab 4x4 P/U
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks~

It's been a LONG TIME since I posted a question but this one has me stumped. I have one of the Boyle Future Tech souped-up rebuilt alternators (90 amps at idle, 135 max) & it's worked like a champ for over 3 years now. The problem is my alternator like will come on & if I tap on the alternator with a hammer, it starts working again....bizarre? This has worked for about 2 months now, but yesterday it just stayed on & wouldn't go off.

So I took it apart last night to check everything. All looked good but the brushed were pretty worn, but not shot, so I cleaned everything, used DeOxit to clean all the contacts & buttoned it back up. That worked fine for ONE DAY. Now it's back to the light staying on, but it will work for a little while then when I stop & start it again it's back. This is my only vehicle right now & daily driver. I don't know what part is bad, don't have time to send it off, & don't know what parts to replace or what exactly the problem is. Any ideas?

UPDATE: contacted Boyle's today & they suggested it was probably due to the brushes, so I'll be replacing them tomorrow...

Thanks~

Gary

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Good luck - let us know if that was what it was.

·
Languishing in Virginia
1994 XtraCab 4x4 P/U
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have time to fool around with this thing to find out exactly what is wrong; I just ordered a new 170 amp (75 at 1000 rpm, 170 @ 1800 rpm) alternator from AlterStart, comes with a 1 year warranty for $199--it gets here Friday.

I'm still ordering the brushes & holder from Jacque, & will fart with my other alternator later. Maybe it will come up as a cheap sale here....~

·
Languishing in Virginia
1994 XtraCab 4x4 P/U
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
By the way, removing the entire intake in one piece makes getting to the alternator a PIECE OF CAKE~

Here's what AlterStart says about this unit:

"We supply hioutput alternators and mini starters for most applications, foreign and domestic.

You are bidding on a high output heavy duty 100% NEW alternator, that we have wound to 170 amp capability.

This alternator has been variable speed load tested for performance! This unit has 75 amp capability at 1000 engine rpm and 170 amps at 1800 engine rpm.

Supplied with performance curve chart!

New Alternator - Load Boss IR/IF

170 Amp, 14.4 Volt, CW, 4-Groove Pulley

Used On: (1995-93) Toyota 4Runner, Pickup, T100 Pickup 3.0L

Replaces: Nippondenso 100211-013"

·
Languishing in Virginia
1994 XtraCab 4x4 P/U
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got the new alternator; looks just like the OEM. Works like a charm! I'm going to replace the brushes on the old one & see if that fixes it for either resale or maybe keep as a spare....

·
Languishing in Virginia
1994 XtraCab 4x4 P/U
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pics:

Works like a charm! I'm going to replace the brushes on the old Boyle Future Tech modded unit & keep it as a spare in case the new one acts up.

I've installed a 2 gauge copper cable from alternator hot post to the battery w/150 amp circuit breaker~

·
Languishing in Virginia
1994 XtraCab 4x4 P/U
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE: I've been running this alternator now for almost a year with zero issues.

I installed a 2-gauge cable from alternator to battery direct with a 150-amp circuit breaker inline.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts