Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking for a reliable truck 4x4 extended cab, to use on the street as a regular driver with occasional offroad use. what should i look for the 94 pick up w/ 3.0 or the 95 tacoma with 3.4. any advice in this matter would be greatly appricated.:eek:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Everybody loves the 3.4L V6. It has about 40 more horsepower (190hp vs. 150hp) than the 3.0L and is extremely reliable, although I had my 3.0 for 13 years and never had any problems with it. It was a fantastic truck, just down on ammenities and sometimes power. Be on the look out for headgasket problems though. I never had a problem with it but did have them replaced for free by Toyota as a precautionary measure early on.

BTW, I saw the old truck just the other day and made me a bit sad, though after having the 07 I'd never go back exclusively for it. It was weird though being in the new truck and driving behind your old partner in crime though.

·
Registered
01 & 04 S-Runners
567 Posts
I got 12 years' decent service out of a 3.0L V6 in my 1993 PreTaco, but I still consider it the worst engine in any Toyota truck for the last 20 years. I now have an '04 with the 3.4L V6, and it's clearly a better mill ...

I believe you'd be happier and 'safer' going with the 5VZ 3.4L V6.

For one thing - there's practically no aftermarket performance support for the 3VZ ...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Oh I absolutely agree. There is NO support (aftermarket or from Toyota) for the 3VZE engine. Plus its not nearly as flexible in the powerband as its bigger V6 cousins. North of about 3000 - 3500RPMs is worthless. Given my choice, I would definitely give the 95 truck with the 5VZFE 3.4L V6 the nod between the 94 and 95 trucks of similar condition.

·
Registered
07 FJC
18 Posts
the 3.0 engine was known for leaky valve seals causing oil consumption, I ran mine for 250,000 miles but it did use oil, the 3.4 in wifeys 4 runner is a FAR superior engine :heart:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts