Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 94 Previa AWD.

Is there any way to access the top of the strut towers without tearing the whole dash apart?

Also, does the breakline have to come apart to replace the strut?

I can't seem to find any Haynes manuals around here. If anyone could scan the pages for struts I'd appreciate it.

·
Not so Noob now!
562 Posts
My haynes doesn't cover models with passenger side airbags. but the drivers side bolts can be accessed by pulling out the guage cluster and some of the ductwork. It's a tight fit but can be done. The passenger side on models without the airbag is accessed by going through the glove box. Maybe you can do that also in yours. Abeit the glovebox is located under the airbag in your van.

No, the brake lines do not have to come apart, although that is the way it is designed. You can simply cut a slot in the brake line holders on the struts, both new & old, to allow you to slip the lines out without undoing them. The clips will keep the lines secure after you reinstall them. PM me if you want pics.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

thanks for the help.

I've pulled the whole dash apart, and thought that there had to be a better way. Unbelievable. then to make the brake line fixed to the strut so you would have to bleed it makes it seem like they were trying to win a "difficulty in engineering" contest.

I'm going to do just what you said about cutting the supports.

·
Not so Noob now!
562 Posts
Here are some pics of what I'm talking about:

First you need to remove the clips that hold the brake lines to the strut supports:

After the clips have been removed there should be enough play in the lines to shift the fittings out of the supports.

I use bolt cutters to make two cuts in the brake line supports about 1/4" apart. Remember to do the same to the new struts.

The brake line should just slide right out. When you put your new struts on the brake lines will slide in the slots you put in

When you reasseble the brake lines to the supports the clip will hold the fitting tight even with the slot cut into the support.

If somebody wants to host these pix please feel free as I will need to clear space off my server soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ride Control

thanks so much for your help es250.

i took everything apart today. the only part that was a little tricky was disconnecting the ride control arm. It takes a 6mm allan key and a 17 mm box end wrench.

Hopefully this will help anyone else that wants to try this.

·
Not so Noob now!
562 Posts
So this time around did you take the whole dash out, or were you able to get to the top of the strut mounts without going to that extreme?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the whole dash.(stripped down to the one piece dash board) although, on the passenger side I could have gotten away with just the glove compartment. A little tight under the airbag, but I was able to get a ratchet in. it's nice how you have to remove the heater venting too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got to the top of the R Front shock tower bolts (14mm allen x 3) by removing the Airbag and
glove box assemblies... it was enough to get to those bolts... barely. the deepest
nut was really hard to get out, but prevailed eventually. A time consuming project, to be sure.

The fix above, cutting the notch for the brake lines, is a brilliant move & I'll use it when I do the other side. Anyone got a minimal-dash-parts-removal technique for getting to the L front shock tower
bolts?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I did it without removing a single part of the dash (besides the cover in the glove box). Re-torquing the bolts on the top of the struts is difficult but possible. You can actually get to the L side shock tower without any parts being removed (mine is a 91' with no airbags, so this may not work for you) if you feel around under the dash where the wheel well is, you can get to the three bolts, but I found that wrenches were the only thing that would fit in the tight space.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Whole dash apart?? I kinda remember getting to the bolt on the top psgr side by taking the little access part and a vent out of the glove box area.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts